What is the best car for a 16 to 17 year old?

Hi i am a 15 year old and I want a car for my birthday. I currently have my sights set on the 2005 Ford Focus ZX5. I like the four doors because it looks better, however i am also open to the 2 door version. I have a question what are the differences between the ZX5, ZX5 S, ZX5 SE, and the ZX5 SES? Also what other cars should i also look at? I like either a hatchback or a sedan. I would like a reliable car, not the VW Golf. So please give me some advice. Thanks! C:

Favorite Answer

Focus S: (ZX3, ZX4 and ZX5), Duratec 20 or 20E engine with five-speed manual transmission, manual driver’s seat height adjustment, split-folding rear seat, AM/FM single CD player, 15-inch wheels, Dual-stage driver and front-passenger air bags.

Focus SE: (ZX3, ZX4, ZX5 and ZXW) Included S content, plus air conditioning, overhead console, AM/FM stereo with single-disc CD/MP3 player, dual power mirrors, power windows and locks, remote keyless entry.

Focus SES: (ZX3, ZX4, ZX5 and ZXW) Included SE content, plus tilt/telescoping leather-wrapped steering wheel, duplicate steering column-mounted audio controls, fog lamps, tachometer, AM/FM six-disc CD/MP3 player and 16-inch alloy wheels.

The difference between the various ZX5's is the level of equipment. The regular ZX5 has nothing except a radio and a heater inside, while the SES will have things like heated seats and a sunroof.

As for other options. I'd suggest a Honda Civic. You really can't go wrong with one of those unless its been absolutely THRASHED by the previous owner. Other options could be a Mitsubishi Lancer (less reliable then a Civic but more sporty) or a Nissan Sentra (boring car but bulletproof reliable).

Hello Matthew,

Way to get a start on the research. “ZX5” and the like are different trim levels and affect what comes standard with the Focus.

A GM product that might interest you is the new Chevrolet Sonic – you can check it out at Chevrolet.com, and even run a competitive comparison between it and the Focus. The Sonic comes as either a sedan or a hatchback.

Hope this helps!

Sarah

GM Customer Service

Dont be too specific, it decreases you chances of getting something

I am glad you are happy with hatchbacks, because trust me, a small hatch is exactly what you want

I can personally recommend both the toyota matrix (mine is an XR from 2005 so it is a bit more sporty) and also a mazda 3 hatchback (2006? i think) Both are great fun to drive and have plenty of space. The matrix has a sportier feel to it, but that is a pain sometimes because of road noise. The matrix is also wildly reliable, never had a problem with it and it has been 50k miles already. The mazda 3 is about the same, though the car is a bit larger in dimensions .

Anyways, i have not had much experience in ford except that they tend to have transmission issues alot sooner than they should (taurus at least.)

good luck and have fun driving about when the time comes

any care is a good car to begin with, remember that.

• Age Limit to get driving license is 18+ years old. Now u asking for 18-. so dont think abt car. drive bicycle/bike. thats good for u.