Hawaiians or people who have been to Hawaii, could you help me with this, please?

I'm writing a short story that happens in Hawaii, but I've never been there myself.

So, I'm basing myself on some preconceived ideas I have about Hawaii.

And I would like to ask:

Is it traditional for locals to place a flower necklace around the neck of tourists after they leave the airplane?

Is flowery pattern clothing traditional in Hawaii?

Is it reasonable for tourists who take their first walk in Honolulu, after they checked in the hotel, to say that at first glance, Honolulu looks like New York?

And what else could people possibly see on their way from the hotel to the beach? (For instqance, are there street vendors, and if so, what do they sell..., etc...)

Best Answer

Yes it's traditional but it's extremely uncommon. It's generally done by tour companies for an additional fee or you're accosted on the beach late at night by people wanting money for the lei's

Yes the pattern is traditional but not unique to Hawaii. The aloha shirt is a signature of Hawaii but comes in every pattern imaginable.

No. No part of the islands looks anything like New York at all. Picture the exact opposite of New York...now your getting closer.

As far as things people would see from their hotel to the beach...(I'm assuming you're basing this story in Honolulu)

- No street vendors. It's illegal.

- Pretty much Kalakaua Blvd., possibly a hotel lobby depending on which way you take, then the beach because it's RIGHT there.

- Lots of busking at night. Everything from Bruno Mars to fortune tellers to spray paint art

- Homeless people. They're interesting and peaceful...as in they don't beg for money mostly

- VERY expensive cars. (Bentley's, Maserati's, Corvettes)

- Japanese people (Not being racist...it's a fact)

- Planes over head every 8 minutes. Waikiki is on the flightpath

- High end stores (Fendi, Louis Vuitton, Coach)

- Some local surf bums carrying their boards to or from the beach

- People handing out brochures. Mostly for religions and dinner cruises

- Tour operators trying to get your business. Shark dives, bus trips, day cruises

- Trolleys and buses.

- ABC Stores which is a one stop shop for anything you'd ever need there. They're EVERYWHERE...seriously. Stand on the right corner and you can see 7.

Honolulu is basically a tourist paradise and even the islands of O'ahu, Maui, and the Big Island are geared to that. Kaua'i to a certain extent too. If you're looking for the more "authentic" version. I'd suggest switching your story to the islands of Ni'ihau, Molokaʻi, Lānaʻi, or Kahoʻolawe. The people of those islands live a more traditional life and many don't speak english or speak english well. All are extremely beautiful and really are the stereotypical definition of Hawai'i.

Best of luck. I speak fluent Hawaiian and Pidgin if you need references or more info.

Source(s): Have spent at least 4 months a year there every year for the last 16 years.
  • seguin

No, we don't hate them. There are mainlanders who do stay right here and that they are nice with us. (ie. Kailua and North Shore of Oahu). If we hated mainlanders our islands could only be packed with Asians and Hawaiians. yet while a mainlander comes right here and would not comprehend a thank you to act or is disrespectful, then that individual gets avoided. only be superb and we would be superb returned; that is situation-unfastened courtesy. Oh, and the full land difficulty hits nerves with us locals as nicely.

• Mark

Yes, yes, no (Honolulu looks NOTHING like NYC), and after checking into their hotel, a lot of people go shopping at "Ala Moana Center" which is a HUGE shopping mall by Waikiki.