can you safely tow a horse trailer with SUV?

I'm looking at getting a new vehicle in the next few months. And I really want a Ford Explorer or Checy Tahoe/Trailblazer. Or something along those lines. I am just wondering if you can safely and easily pull a 2 horse BP trailer with them?

Favorite Answer

SUV's aren't my first choice as a tow vehicle, but I do understand the economics. Not everyone can afford a truck and a car.

SUV’s are becoming more popular each year. Get the biggest and longest is the short answer.

The full-size SUV’s have similar frames to trucks and a lot of them are boxed frames instead of C-frame, so they are strong.

But you've got to get as much wheelbase as you can find. So to pull a trailer similar to a ½ ton truck, (GM, 1500, Dodge 1500, Ford F150, Toyota Tundra,) you need a SUV with a similar weight to a ½ ton truck.

This would include Dodge Durango, Ford Expedition, Chevy Tahoe, GMC Yukon, Toyota Sequoia and others. These SUV’s have a “Body on Frame” construction like trucks.

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/MrTruck/aug02.htm

Small SUVs aren't optimal for towing a horse trailer, but it can be done. If you are buying new make sure to get one equipped with the towing package. If you are going used you will have to make sure the vehicle you get has the towing package, or you will have to have someone set it up to tow a trailer with a hitch, trailer brake controller, helper springs, etc. And as someone else mentioned, make sure the engine has enough power to pull your trailer. Stability is a bigger issue, though. Short wheelbase behicles can be hard to control when pulling the trailer.

A larger SUV (Expedition, Suburban, etc) or full-size pickup would be a better option, but a small SUV will work as long as you go into the process with your eyes wide open.

Source(s): I've pulled horse trailers of all sizes with all kinds of vehicles.

Just barely ! For a 2 horse trailer, you need a pretty big vehicle, with a V8 eng. . 5.5 or bigger.