Is it possible to play football as a starter in high school in your first year?

I mean obviously if your amazing you'll play but I've never played football on a team before but my friends really want me to try out with them. First off, im about 6"1' 145 pounds, and my senior year is next year so yeah im pretty skinny, but i can take a hit and weight can change, but I've... show more I mean obviously if your amazing you'll play but I've never played football on a team before but my friends really want me to try out with them. First off, im about 6"1' 145 pounds, and my senior year is next year so yeah im pretty skinny, but i can take a hit and weight can change, but I've already been convinced to wrestle by my friends so ill be doing that this year, and I've played baseball my whole life and I am on the school team.

I'm very fast agile and athletic and I've been told I have a cannon for an arm,and with some practice I personally think I could be an efficient player...

My schools football team is pretty bad in my honest opinion, there 0-7 this year and dont really have any "hotshots", and its basically a walk-on team, and after seeing some of the kids who DO make the team and get some playing time, I feel like I could get some too.

Now, im not looking to be starting on varsity by any means, although thats not to say I wouldnt try my hardest, but maybe some time on JV or something would be nice.

I guess im asking is that is high school football solely based on politics and whose played the longest or is it based on skill, because in my school baseball is all about politics. I might try out for the hell of it it could be an experience that I would regret not having, but I dont know how the plays work and how there ACTUALLY called. But im not like stupid at football, I have common knowledge because I watch alot.

SO my questions are:

Is High school football about politics or skill?
Is it hard to learn football in 1 year?
What would be the best position for a 6"1' 145 pound fast agile kid? Probably WR, but why?

Ill end it there. Answers and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.