How to start homeschooling in Alabama?

I am a Junior in highschool (in Alabama). I am just starting my Junior year. I would like to start homeschooling at mid-year.

My reasons for homeschooling:

-I am 17 and needing to save for college (homeschool will give me extra free time to work.)

-I need to graduate fast, to get to college.

-I'm tired of not learning anything in my public school.

My questions:

-Are there online courses for homeschoolers? (If so, is it difficult?)

-Can I graduate faster?

-Will I get a high school diploma with homeschooling?

-Can I homeschool myself?

-Is it free?

-Can I still take the ACT test while being home schooled?

-What are the advantages/disadvantges with homeschooling?

Bottom line:

I need a fast, educational, and secure way to graduate high school. I need a good education fast.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Please, I really need help in this field.

Favorite Answer

First you need to understand that "homeschooling" is not a term used in the Alabama educational laws.

What is commonly considered homeschooling in most states can not legally occur in Alabama. However Alabama allows church related schools to offer distance education programs. Therefore the only way you can "school at home" is through a church related school.

Yes, depends on the program

-Can I graduate faster?

Possibly..Once again, depends on the program.

Yes

-Can I homeschool myself?

If you mean can you do your work without a parent present, yes

-Is it free?

No

Yes

The biggest benefit for us is freedom: The freedom to learn what, when, where and how it suits each of my children; The freedom to take a vacation when we want to; The freedom to attend family functions 700 miles away without having a school report the children as truant.; The freedom to let children enjoy childhood instead of being rushed into schedules, or rushed into acting older than they are.

My general "go to" list of pros and cons for our family are:

Individualized education that can be custom fit the learning style and interests of each student

Ability to seek out more hands on/field-trip opportunities

Ability to move at the speed that the student needs in each subject

"School work" can be finished in much less time than a typical school day because of teacher/student ration, no wasted time on home-room, period changes etc.

Lack of being bound by age/grade level/ school district etc

Not bound by the public school calendar for vacations etc

"School" can take place anywhere at any time.

Socializing and socialization (which are 2 different things BTW) takes place in the real world, vs. the segregated setting of public school.

Receiving an education instead of being schooled

Cons:

Putting up with ignorant stereo-types spouted off by those who never learned to think outside of the public school box.

ETA: Connections Academy is not free to homeschoolers. Connections Academy is not a church related school, therefore the private school option does not qualify under the AL laws. As for the free public school option, it is not available in Alabama.

Try connections Academy its also FREE! It answers all your questions.