Why do teenagers leave their homes at the age of 18 in the US (and other countries)?

1. What is the logic and basis for this practice?

2. Is there any Biblical scripture that supports children moving out of their homes? Is this a Christian thing to do?

3. Is there any scripture that is against this practice?

4. Parents, has this done good or bad to your teenaged children? How?

5. Are teenagers mature enough to face life at 18?

6. Shouldn't parents take care of their children till they are old enough to stand on their own feet?

I have seen so many teenagers go the wrong way because their parents EXPECT them to leave their homes at the age of 18. Some teenagers aren't ready but have to leave. Many teenagers get into bad company and become drug addicts. Many girls end up becoming single mothers, etc etc.

Best Answer

I don't know why teenagers leave their homes at the age of 18 in the U.S. and other countries. Perhaps they want to be independent because the age of discretion used to be 21 but was moved to 18 years of age a few years ago and maybe that makes them feel they have to grow up and get on with life independently of their parents.

I don't know of any biblical precedent for children moving out and it certainly isn't a Christian thing to force them to leave. The Bible states, "If anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his own household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an infidel" (1 Timothy 5:8).

If anything I would think it would put them in danger because they are very rarely mature enough at 18 to leave home, although I am sure every child is different.

In England, children normally stay at home until they either go to University (if it is in another location) or until they are ready to get married.

I believe parents should take care of their children until they are old enough to stand on their own two feet, but some children are rebellious and the parents cannot prevent them from leaving once they have made up their mind.

If it is the parents who want them to leave, perhaps it is because their personalities clash with either one parent or the other. It is quite true that many children who leave home too early get involved with bad company and end up either taking drugs, alcohol or if female, becoming unwed mothers. There is more and more of it these days, so I would think it would be better to keep children at home as long as possible, so that by the time they do leave, they are adult enough to face the world confidently, can hold down a decent job with pay and continue to prosper and grow into who God wants them to be without having to lean on their peers for support

• Lynn B

I have friends in foster care and they said that the age of care is changing to 23 or 25.. I forget what they said. They can move out, if they choose to, at 18.. but it will be open for them to stay until mid-20's. This economy it terrible.. those that were mentally mature enough at 18 probably can't do it now. My parents are of the mentality that children should move out.. they are disappointed that more than half are still living at home.

1.) Logical basis is that parents were lovers first.. they want their alone time back before they get too old.. I assume.

2.) (Matthew 19:5-6) ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and will stick to his wife, and the two will be one flesh’? 6 So that they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has yoked together let no man put apart.” -- When getting married sounds like they find their own place.. but you end up getting your parents back later to care for.

3.) Don't think so.

4.) I'm a parent of a 2 year old and a 4 year old.. don't have those answers yet.

5.) Most are not.

6.) Yes.

Here in India we don't leave home at 18....most of them stay with their parents till they are married....

For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh....Genesis 2:24

1) logic behind this practice is that they think that children are grown into adult when they are 18 and they must face their life

2)the scripture is above stated but that is for only married(my assumption)

3)i'm not sure abt any scripture against this

4)like all other things it has both advantages and also disadvantages...Advantage:..they learn to take care of themselve at such a young age so that they can manage and make a good family wen they r married

Disadvantage:like you said,they may bcom drug addicts,etc etc

5)some ppl r mature even at their 16 and 17 and some are immature even at their late 20's...it depends on the person

6)ya...parents should take care of their children...but how long can they take care of the children..

to conclude...some ppl r mature at 18 itself and dey can handle life without any bad habits such as drugs,etc etc...

but some r immature even wen dey get old and they get into bad habits even n their 40's...

• Fuzzy

I wasn't aware that this is standard practice at 18 exactly. Still, anywhere from 18 into the early 20-ies is probably quite accurate.

The logic behind it is that the young adult learns to stand on his own two feet economically. This of course is appropriate. It is a good thing for a young person to be removed from his parents umbilical cord or economic umbrella so as to learn how to manage his/her affairs before such is married with real family responsibilities.

The Biblical teaching is that men and women should not live in the same household as their parents after having been married. In some European countries in the countryside, they even had a small house set apart from the main farm for such eventuality where the parents when they became too old to work would retire into. Until then, perhaps the young could live there. (family dependent)

The problem in today's world is that many young are weak in their faith. They see their moving out into the world as a chance to dive into the morass of casual sex and even drugs - and see nothing wrong with this. So many ruin their lives with serious sin such as abortions, fornication, adultery - that at times carry a heavy price tag lasting the rest of their lives.

It is therefore good for a Christian family to together weigh what can be done to assist the young to become independent vis-a-vis parents while staying dependent on God and Christ in all holiness. Make sure that while the umbilical cord gets cut that the family ties stay strong and always tied down.

Even the Bible advises in Ecclesiastes that "4:12 And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a threefold cord is not quickly broken. "

So the logic is to stand together in faith, in assisting with what needs done for the physical world and needs so that we always remain a close Christian family.

~~~~~~~

Young 18 year-olds are not mature. Maturity of that kind is reached at 30. The Bible tells us this by letting our Lord begin his service at that age - the age for becoming a priest though he was not of Levi. Only mature people were permitted this serious duty.

Just like some animals teach by gradually letting their young do more and more adult stuff, we also should keep an eye out for our young and together have them begin the trip down the road to becoming adult in the sense of economic self-reliance and self-restraint, in being able to handle the responsibility of handling what a household needs.

This should include the teaching of helping others particularly their parents, their grandparents, and even others of their own faith - both economically and physically. Of course, with balance and gentleness should they look out for others so that they do not neglect their own needs or needs for entertainment but that they must remember that life is about people, not money. The load of our Lord is light - that is his teaching.

This means that parents, grandparents, and young adults must be interested in each other and make time during the year when they get together and not because it is some holiday though those vacation periods can be used.

Personally, I left home at 17 to attend college. I was mostly ready to live on my own and then managed to pick up the rest as I went along. As far as biblical support, I do not believe the bible addresses this issue. Are teenager mature enough? That is an individual thing. 100 years ago, by 18 most teenagers were out in the world and making their own way, starting families, etc. As society becomes more complex, it takes longer for kids to gain the necessary education to stand on their own job-wise. But it is up to the parents to determine how long they need to support their kids and what point they are mature enough to "leave the nest", as it were.

btw, 18 is the age at which teens in the US can vote, join the military, and do just about anything except drink, drinking age is 21.

Blessings on your Journey!

If the parents are loving parents, they will not want their sons or daughters to be kicked out of the house only to become homeless. In today's economy that is a real possibility. The opposite extreme, of course, is having a son or daughter who is a couch potato and has no intention of working for a living ever.

This usually works itself out because the 18 year olds often feel oppressed at home so they are happy to move out and be on their own.

Children who stay in their parents home after age 18 should be paying at least a nominal amount for rent and electricity as they become productive members of society.

A Christian parent will want to help their children with lodging when they are down and out and with good advice on how to cope in an ever changing world. A Christian parent should not encourage their children to be sloths.

• Hannah

With the way the economy is now, most people are staying in their parents' homes until they're more like 25 or 30...I know very few people who are prepared to move out the day they turn 18. You would have to have thousands of dollars saved up, which isn't very easy when you can't even get a job until you're 16 and even then, you just make minimum wage (which has barely raised at all in the last 50 years, despite inflation and the skyrocketing cost of living), so even in two years, you aren't going to get very much saved up!

Different cultures have different norms.

Cultural norms change over time.

I know 18 year olds in the US that left home and never looked back and are normal successful functioning adults.

I know 40 year old men in Italy that STILL live at home. STILL have their moms cooking and cleaning for them. Uh when do the parents get a break?

What works for one kid may or may not work for the next - even in the same family.

Ultimately, the goal of parenting is to raise independent, confident, self sufficient people who become good, contributing members of society. Making them stay where they don't want to be, isn't helpful. Nor is throwing them out before they are ready.

• Hannah

I'm 18 and no i am not 'ready' to leave home but i will have to soon for college.

The logic is you are becoming an adult, it is time to move on from your parents and begin your adult life.

A Christian thing? No, because at the time Chrisitainity was formed 13 and 14 year olds had 5 children.. Come on what logic was that question?!

3... not even going to waste my time with that one....

4.. can't answer, however my mum and dad don't want me to leave obviously but of course they have to let go.

5.. No we are not! hah, but I guess that's part of life, learning from doing?

6.. At 18 you should have been taught enough to stand on your own two feet...

• Rupee
      4 years agoReport

You move out at 18 and you're going to make a ton of mistakes. 18 is not a magic number, there's no reason to think that's the special age where you're ready. The age is different for each person.

no people aren't mature enough to live life on their own at 18, but the baby bird has to start to fly at some point. We learn through life experience and 18 is young and old enough to get some. It's only in retrospect that we see how immature we were at 18-22. It's whole 20/20 thing, and those people you see get in trouble? Well there's a thing called personal responsibilty and it was not their parents fault they turned to drugs or turned into sluts.

People are responsible for themselves and those people thought drugs sounded fun so they did it.