Monarchy or Republic?

I realize that this will possibly come off as just another silly question from "another stupid American", but... I notice the continuing discussion of whether Britain should remain a monarchy or become a republic. But is that truly the only choice? Could not the monarchy remain in a fashion that is... show more I realize that this will possibly come off as just another silly question from "another stupid American", but... I notice the continuing discussion of whether Britain should remain a monarchy or become a republic. But is that truly the only choice? Could not the monarchy remain in a fashion that is titular and ceremonial only, while having a form of government that truly is a republic. Keep the sovereign as a symbol of national tradition and pride while still having a head of state who is elected by the populace directly as would be the two houses of Parliment? Something more akin, unless I'm mistaken, to what is found in Sweden and Japan? And please try to be kind if my question is too simplistic or even ignorant.
Update: Diana...I fully understand that Britain is a constitutional monarchy wherein the monarchy has extremely limited powers. However, if I'm correct, the Prime Minister is elected by the members of the House of Commons, not the populace. And the House of Lords is appointed by the Queen upon the advice of the PM. It... show more Diana...I fully understand that Britain is a constitutional monarchy wherein the monarchy has extremely limited powers. However, if I'm correct, the Prime Minister is elected by the members of the House of Commons, not the populace. And the House of Lords is appointed by the Queen upon the advice of the PM. It just seems to me that the PM and both houses of Parliament could be elected directly without giving up the monarchy altogether.