What is your opinion on people who get rid of their dog when they have a baby?

I work at a rescue and have plenty of friends with dogs, big and small, who have had babies and still cope.

Obviously if a dog is aggressive nobody would want it near their child, i accept that.

But far too many people give up dogs just because they have a baby? Well you had the dog first, did you not think at some point you may have a family? And whats wrong with both?

It just seems some people are happy to give up on their pets when their precious child comes along.

I'm posting this Q twice, in Pets and Parenting, I just wonder how the views will differ between the die hard animal lovers and the mummy brigade....

• Leuco
    Best Answer

I didn't get rid of my 2 year old when I had a baby 8 weeks ago. He, too, is unpredictable and will full and will, on occasion, be slightly aggressive towards our baby when he feels jealous. I cope, because I love him and he's family, as any pet should be. I don't have any pets because I've never had time to care for them, however I had a cat growing up who was my whole life, so I understand the attachment.

I get so angry when I hear of people moving and getting rid of their pets in the process. How heartless. I honestly didn't know people got rid of them when they had babies, as naive as that sounds. It's sad.

I don't think you should give up a dog just because you have a baby, yes you do get some situations like Kimberley's where there is no choice but why is it so hard to look after both? I take my daughter out for a daily walk anyway why not walk the dog at the same time. She does far better getting some fresh air than being cooped up in the house all day. If your child is constantly with you in a carrier or sling then you are always supervising so your child is safe and you can continue your normal activities.

My little one is only 7 days old but she is my fourth and I've never had a problem with the children and pets.

IMHO, the dog was there first.

I would not get rid of the child to save the dog, so what makes it okay to get rid of the dog?

A dog should NOT be left with a young child, alone, unsupervised.

But, truth be told, a child that small should NEVER be unsupervised.

I have four dogs and a cat that live in my home. But I put an insane amount of work into them to make sure that when I have a child they will be desensitized to that.

This includes boundaries for them, training outside of the home, getting them used to equipment, I even have a baby doll and use it to help me train so they will be ready for the big transition. I do not plan to say, "hey, now I have a newborn you pups have to go."

Management and planning are seriously important!

Yes, I think it is WRONG to rehome a pet just because you have a child.

Source(s): 4 dogs, 2 therapy dog certifications, agility, obedience, and they are all rescues.

i agree, i got a rescue dog from battersea, then had 3 kids, and ive still got my dog. she gets walked everyday. u learn to fit things around. for example if im going to the shops i take the long way through the park so the dog gets a walk and a play. and personally i think its good for children to have pets and makes then healthier (we take our dog over the woods for at least 2/3hours on a weekend with the kids)

We had a pit bull when I had my daughter in 04/2010. Daisy (our dog) was such a good dog. When we brought the baby home we introduced them and made extra time for Daisy so she wouldnt feel jealous. When my daughter was 3months old, daisy tried to bite her for no reason, luckily i was right there and nothing happened. For us, the reason we got rid of her was for the safety of my child. Daisy went to a loving home of a woman and her husband on a farm with 3 other dogs, and she is very happy there. I miss her, but its what was best.

Source(s): personal experience
  • Greta

If your dog is aggressive or possessive of you, then yes, I could understand finding him or her a good, safe, loving home as opposed to keeping him or her around your baby.

However, if you give your dog away to a shelter just because you don't want to deal with the responsibility, that's irresponsible.

I could NEVER give up my pets. They aren't just fixtures in my house. They're my FAMILY. I love them very much and I couldn't stand the thought of sending them off to a shelter just for my convenience!

EDIT: I have a cat who is very possessive of me. He stayed with my mom until my daughter was about 3 months old, then we tested him coming back to live with me, and he did great. He leaves my daughter alone pretty much. However, if I wouldn't have had my mom to take him, I wouldn't have just shipped him off somewhere! I've had him since he was a baby...I would have come up with an alternate solution, like keeping him in a seperate room, and getting him used to our daughter.

Source(s): Mommy to a 5 month old girl, 5 year old cat, and 7 year old dog. They're ALL my babies.

I think those people are irresponsible. When they got the dog did they not think about the future? Did they not think that child might in their future? That seems very short sighted and irresponsible not to think of such things.

Dogs are huge commitments for 10 years or more. A dog owner needs to think of what they will do in a variety of situations before they get a dog.

And truly I have been pregnant and cared for young children while I have had my dogs. It isn't that much extra work.

Source(s): proud owner of three rescue dogs and proud mother of two young children
  • Beth

A new baby is a lot of work and takes a lot of time and attention. It's only sensible that new moms would have to rearrange their priorities and cut out some of the other things they previously spent time on. If caring for a pet is one of those things they need to cut to keep their sanity, what's wrong with that?

• asrai

IF you adopt a dog you are responsible for it. But if you do not have time to properly care for a dog ie walking daily, attention it's better to give it up to someone who has time.

If you don't want to get rid of your pet, do not have children. You know that this question cannot be answered without weighing both sides of the situation.Pets, to me, should not be around children because of all of the risks. No matter if it be cat, dog, or mouse, there can be problems.