Is 'Occupy Wall Street' descending into George Orwell's "Animal Farm"?

• bwlobo
    Best Answer

yes indeed!!!

"Never mind the milk, comrades!" cried Napoleon, placing himself in front of the buckets. "That will be attended to. The harvest is more important. Comrade Snowball will lead the way. I shall follow in a few minutes. Forward, comrades! The hay is waiting."

So the animals trooped down to the hayfield to begin the harvest, and when they came back in the evening it was noticed that the milk had disappeared. - Animal Farm, Chapter II

So the self-appointed workers-students soviet of the OWS spaghetti revolution, which goes by the creepy name of the Assembly, has decided to put an end to “freeloading.”

And no; that doesn’t mean they are all going home, getting jobs, running businesses.

Instead, they are cracking down on the menu for three (3) whole days. They really mean business this time.

From the New York Post:

The Assembly announced the three-day menu crackdown announced earlier in the day -- insisting everybody would be fed something during that period.

Some protesters threatened that the high-end meals could be cut off completely if the vagrants and criminals don’t disperse.

Unhappiness with their unwelcome guests was apparent throughout the day.

“We need to limit the amount of food we’re putting out” to curb the influx of derelicts, said Rafael Moreno, a kitchen volunteer.

A security volunteer added that the cooks felt “overworked and underappreciated.”

Wow. Imagine the nerve of people tying compensation, like high-end meals, to actual work. Next thing you know these folks are going to issue an Occupy Wall Street IPO right before getting a government bailout. OK, maybe they'll just skip directly to the government bailout.

Oh fun. We're playing the "lets compare ____ to a George Orwell book even if I have no clue what Orwell was talking about" game!

Your ? wasn't very informative.

What do you mean 'Animal Farm'? I read the book, but I'm not getting the connection even after reading the Answers.

I'm not a sci-fi buff, so I don't get "Lord of the Flies" either.

If you could be more detailed in the connection I could answer your ?.

• bird

i don't think it could happen this soon into something, even in the ADD culture we live in.

it is a legitimate concern, something that one should be mindful to avoid. it is a very easy thing to have happen.

before you know it the pigs are walking upright, and it worse than it was before.

Absolutely..the majority of them are democrats/socialist/marxist/anarchist.

It will turn into the Lord of the Flies before it's over.

some of them definitelt Do see themselves as "more equal". Throw a little "lord of the flies" in there, and you've got a deal...

Wow, this could be the best question I've ever seen on YA!...

• Mike W

Was thinking more of "Lord of the Flies"

• Ranger

No, it is going Tea Bagger on us.