Stefy
Stefy asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 9 years ago

can happiness be achieved?

can happiness be achieved? or is it something that is always in the past (melancholia) or in the future, in such a way that the pursuit of happiness is all we can get.

Sure, temporary short lived happiness is achievable, but I am talking about long - term (months, years)?

I think I never personally achieved that. I feel like I always need MORE to be happy. I need that thing, that personal ambition, that girl, that whatever. And as soon as a wish is fulfilled, I crave something else. Or I feel too tired, or too lonely, or not intellectually satisfied....etc

It that universally valid? Are YOU really happy? (I am not asking if you know someone happy, because we all have our happy, cheery, mask, always pretending everything is perfect)

I did read that happiness has some genetic component...

Anyway, what do you think?

• Lucy
    Favorite Answer

No. We are never totally satisfied to say: I am happy. Even if we do reach the distant point where we can understand ourselves, and even if we are in the illusion that we understand the world, we still cannot declare a state of happiness. Understanding and happiness are two different things, and happiness is fleeting.

Furthermore, we are all victims of fears. One fear is to say I am happy and then lose our happiness.

What we can do, though, is to reach a sense of well being. That is achieved by not expecting much from the exterior (weather, people, and pets); having no debts, no pressure; having enough to eat, and some comfort; and having people around us to talk to us and give us feedback without stabbing us in our back. Then, we can declare a state of well being, which if continued on a long period of time can be, later on, called happiness. Happiness can be fully viewed only long after it has been lived, and often through the negative: misfortune.

Source(s): lk

Happiness can be achieved, but only if you look in the right place. I have been there, and all I'm saying is you will not find true happiness unless you look to God. I can honestly say right now that my happiness is it's fullest when I'm closer to God, and that I am fully happy regardless of my circumstances or obstacles that I face. I LOVE life now and it's not something I have to fake anymore:)

The less greedy you are, the easier happiness is to achieve. Look at what you've got. Compare yourself to the you from years ago. Try not to think of what you could have.

Also, read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_hedonism

• Yes, happiness can be achieved. It comes from understanding yourself and the world. Another word for it is enlightenment.

i do no longer think of happiness is something to be performed and then possessed. the closest element to happiness is in all risk an ideas-set in the direction of existence -- enjoying the sturdy you have, eschewing destructive thoughts, being open to new reviews. additionally, i'm not sure which you will nonetheless communicate yet somebody else into being chuffed. Your happiness --your ideas-set in the direction of existence-- could rub off on them, even though it may desire to be any other way around besides.

I haven't achieved it either but I believe its possible

• joe714

depends on your definition of happiness.

according to your definition for yourself

i would say NO.