Would it be hard to go from Olympic style taekwondo to ATA style taekwondo?

I am a Olympic style taekwondo artist been doing it ten years and I was just curious if the transition is hard or not... I always was a big fan of the sparring part and forms, I was undefeated the entire time I did it and was wondering if the fighting portion was tremendously different?

Favorite Answer

lol

WTF is the only member in IOC (International Olympic Committee), so I am assuming that such is the one you are referring to, but if you are planning to transfer in ATA, then you make a wrong decision in your entire life as a Taekwondo practitioner, you are just ruining the respect some may give to you.

ATA is a big crap, people knows about this and we are hoping that few words here will let you wake about what's happening around.

....................................................

Source(s): Senses Good luck

you can make a decent transition from Atari to Olympic. now a lot of people down play the Ata saying their martial arts isn't good when in fact they keep striving. remember, it's the practitioner that brings the strategy and tactics to life. i have seen a good number of good martial artists in the ata. as for the mcdojahng nonsense, that's generalizing far too many schools. a lot of people who see one school think they all run the same. not true.

any how, the only difference between ata & Olympic rules is how points are scored. i believe rules for legal targets are the same.

Source(s): my own experience
  • possum

From a technical standpoint, both organizations compete, so no surprises here.

In WTF, it is closer to full-contact, whereas ATA is more point sparring. You'll have to lighten up the contact a bit.

WTF sparring rings are nearly twice the size of ATA, which means if you are good at keeping your distance, or like to use flying techniques, then an ATA ring will be much harder.

WTF forms are comparitively easy compared to ATA forms, which can end up being more than 3 times as many movements as does WTF.

You ought to watch videos of ATA competitors who match your skill level - something you'll have to judge by eye. You'll find their techniques are limited by very few techniques compared to the arsenal that WTF employs. In this regard, you will have few problems.

ATA schools have a (high) tendency to be run by unqualified (or underqualified) instructors and the focus tends to be more on business, rather than on technical quality. I don't know anyone who comes from ATA schools, but I know their reputation. If you manage to find yourself in a quality ATA school, you may benefit - but this is rare. Your skills are more likely to atrophy. However, it sholdn't be hard to do.

There are many ATA schools, so finding one won't be hard. You'll find that getting into one is easier than getting out of one.

You're right, the fighting portion is tremendously different. In ATA you fight like a b*tch.

Don't go to ATA. They are all McDojos. If you just want excercise, then sure, go there. But if you want real martial arts, never go near ATA.

You would be downgrading if you do.

Stay away from ATA <--- repeat this mantra.