I need help portraying my character?

I am playing the role of a teacher/student teacher in a school play. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I can make the audience believe I'm a teacher. For example, carrying around like a brief case or something and taking out papers to correct. Oh, one more thing the show takes place in the 1980s so it can't be anything to modern. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Big, thick-rimmed glasses (like modern-day hipsters are wearing) would certainly help. Also, a button-down business shirt with a thick tie, probably with a pattern of some sort (pencil ties and plain ties are more common in a modern setting, or for very formal occasions). A suit jacket could work well, especially a lighter colour, but isn't really necessary.

You wouldn't need to rely too much on props (like a briefcase) if your costume and body language are good enough, but it might be a good idea if you're not hugely confident.

As for body language- don't slouch, walk around like you own the place. Try crossing your arms and legs and leaning back when you sit if you're looking at a student.

There aren't any "signature" actions you could perform (like, as you suggested, pulling out papers to mark) that would sell your performance, just develop something of your own style. Don't fidget too much, but don't act like a statue either- a few ideas for small movements you can make without distracting the audience are: adjusting your glasses, running a hand through your hair, straightening the knot of your tie or hoisting your trousers by the belt as if they're too loose. These are common movements that won't distract the audience, but will help sell how "natural" your character is.