Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 8 years ago

Am I what they call a Paleoconservative?

I strongly believe in a free market economy with as little government regulation as possible. I want lower taxes, I vehemently oppose Obamacare, and I think people should rely on themselves rather than on welfare.

I'm against the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and I think we should close our military bases, end our foreign aid, and adopt a non-interventionist foreign policy.

I think we should deport all the illegals ASAP! English should be declared the official language of this country and immigrants should be required to learn it.

I think the government should play an active role in protecting our culture and Christian heritage. We should keep "Under God" in the pledge of allegiance, keep Christian symbols on public buildings, bring prayer back to public schools, and make it illegal to burn the flag.

I'm against abortion and pro-death penalty.

I believe that the government should not recognize any marriage and that we should only have civil unions for both gays and straights.

I support the legalization of marijuana, but not heroin, cocaine, or crack.

I'm an avid proponent of second amendment rights and I hate restrictions on gun ownership.

As a country, our policies must reflect the intentions of the Founding Fathers as much as possible.

As a strong supporter of states' rights, I think states should be allowed to regulate gambling, pornography, sodomy, school curriculum, etc., The Supreme Court has usurped way too much power from the states and I would like to have many of their rulings overturned.

Okay, Stratm663, you asked for it. Here are some Supreme Court cases that usurp power from the states:

Lawrence v. Texas

Stanley v. Georgia

Engle v. Vitale

Wallace v. Jaffree

Bob Jones University v. United States (Not only usurps power from the states, but also from a private organization)

The Supreme Court case this past year that forbade California from making their own laws about video games.

Santa Fe Independent School District v. Doe

Food Employees v. Logan Plaza

Lemon v. Kurtzman

Miller v. California

Marsh v. Alabama

Griswold v. Connecticut

National Labor Relations Board v. Johns and Laughlin Steel Corp.

And many more!

Favorite Answer

What 'conservatism' means changes over time and from place to place. Usually we think of 'paleoconservatism' as the conservatism of the 1960s and 70s and 'neoconservatism' as that of Ronald Reagan and later.

Your views are a combination of both. So you're like standing with one foot in the 60s and one in the 80s. For instance, opposing the wars and being for states' rights is paleoconservatism but anti-abortion and merging church and state are neoconservatism. Legalizing pot no govt. marriage are libertarian.

Which actually is good, I think, that you don't just accept all your views as a package, that you think about the individual issues. OTOH it means you would not be entirely welcome in the Republican Party today. 8^)

the term "States' Rights" is not in the constitution

the 10th amendment reserves to them the powers not delegated NOR PROHIBITED. Unfortunately for the bigots, some disinterested gentlemen passed THE FOURTEENTH AMENDMENT which PROHIBITED the states from violating the constitutionally protected rights of their citizens

"I can hardly believe that any person can be found who will not admit that every one of these provisions is just. They are all asserted, in some form or other, in our DECLARATION or organic law. But the Constitution limits only the action of Congress, and is not a limitation on the States. This amendment supplies that defect"

--Thaddeus Stevens; from speech to Congress (April 30, 1868)

"...I strongly believe in a free market economy with as little government regulation as possible..."

this actually makes you a liberal by today's standards....conservatives cannot agree on which regulations should remain..ask any of them...to specify..and they will all contradict

"...I think the government should play an active role in protecting our culture and Christian heritage..."

this stands in direct contradiction of the 1st amendment...

"...The Supreme Court has usurped way too much power from the states and I would like to have many of their rulings overturned..."

ok name one..besides roe v wade...i actually agree w this..but i'll bet you can't name more than 5...if you can past the first two...

Source(s): you're a john birch society fruitcake...look them up..they still exist...join..it suits you ...to a "T"

I feel very much as you do. Too bad there is not a party that represents all of those beliefs. But the good thing is that we do not fit neatly in a box. So sheep we are not, just a bit pissed.

You lost me at the religious bullsh/t. KEEP THE COUNTRY SECULAR