what does "C'est la vie" mean?

iv looked it up before, and found that it basically translates to "such is life".

but iv also heard it as sort of a bid farewell or a good bye.

and instance, in the cartoon Ed, Edd, 'n Eddy. Edd runs off from another character saying "C'est la vie". but his tone sounded more like a "bye for now".

also in the song "under and over it all - five finger death punch". one of the lyrics say "do i care if you hate me, do you wanna know the truth? C'est la vie, adios, good riddance, F you"

however. in the old tom and jerry cartoons. the ones with the little grey mouse, and the whole "3 musketeers" setting. the mouse was being spanked at the end and he shrugged saying "C'est la vie"

and, in the sitcom "the Nanny". Miss babcock was trying to convince Mr.Chfield(sp) to forget about a play they invested in, and said " C'est la vie". as if saying "that's life. lets move on"

so as you can see...im a little confused @.@; . would you mind giving me a little insight? could it be used as both a "such is life" and a "good bye" thing? or..what?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It means that's life, life is tough. It could be used in parting.

I wish things had worked out between us.

C'est la vive!

Source(s): Life. Observation. Appreciation.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

That's life.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

"C'est la vie", a French phrase, "Such is life"

Or

That's life

Or

That's how things happen.

Se-la-vee

• 3 years ago

Se La Vie Song

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Literally, "That/it/this is the life." The equivalent phrase in English would be "such is life" or "that's life."

It is a phrase used to indicate acceptance of something bad that you can't do much of anything about.

• A B2
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

that's life meaning trying to explain what we can't explain.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

That's live or live is like that.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

thank you for the answers everyone xx

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.