What did the apostle John mean when he wrote John 1:1? Was Jesus God or not...?

.

What does the rest of book of John provide about this....?

In verse 18, John wrote: “No one man, has ever seen God; the only Son who is in the bosom of the Father, he has made him known.”

Had any human seen Jesus Christ, the Son? Of course!

So, then, was John saying that Jesus was God?

Obviously not. John summarized matters, saying: “These are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God.”—John 20:31

What did Jesus say that caused the Pharisees to claim that Jesus was making Himself out to be God ....at John 8:58?

Jesus angered the Jews by teaching the oneness of God and man. As they tried to stone him he asked them what he had done wrong. They answered:

John 10

33 "For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou being a man, makest thyself God.

34 "Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said Ye are gods?

35 "If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

36 "Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?"

.

Jesus’ “I am” statement in John 8:58 does not make him God. His statement must be equivalent with God’s “I am” statement in Exodus 3:14. However, the two statements are very different. While the Greek phrase in John does mean “I am,” the Hebrew phrase in Exodus actually means “to be” or “to become.” In other words God is saying, “I will be what I will be.” Thus the “I am” in Exodus is actually a mistranslation of the Hebrew text, so the fact that Jesus said “I am” did not make him God.

The phrase “I am” occurs many other times in the New Testament, and is often translated as “I am he” or some equivalent

(“I am he”—Mark 13:6; Luke 21:8; John 13:19; 18:5, 6 and 8.

“It is I”—Matt. 14:27; Mark 6:50; John 6:20.

“I am the one I claim to be”—John 8:24 and 28.).

It is obvious that these translations are quite correct, and it is interesting that the phrase is translated as “I am” only in John 8:58.

If the phrase in John 8:58 were translated “I am he” or “I am the one,” like all the others, it would be easier to see that Christ was speaking of himself as the Messiah of God (as indeed he was), spoken of throughout the Old Testament.

.

At the Last Supper, the disciples were trying to find out who would deny the Christ. They said, literally, “Not I am, Lord” (Matt. 26:22 and 25). No one would say that the disciples were trying to deny that they were God because they were using the phrase “Not I am.” The point is this: “I am” was a common way of designating oneself, and it did not mean you were claiming to be God.

Favorite Answer

What is the origin of the Trinity doctrine?

The New Encyclopædia Britannica says: “Neither the word Trinity, nor the explicit doctrine as such, appears in the New Testament, nor did Jesus and his followers intend to contradict the Shema in the Old Testament: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord’ (Deut. 6:4). . . . The doctrine developed gradually over several centuries and through many controversies. . . . By the end of the 4th century . . . the doctrine of the Trinity took substantially the form it has maintained ever since.”—(1976), Micropædia, Vol. X, p. 126.

The New Catholic Encyclopedia states: “The formulation ‘one God in three Persons’ was not solidly established, certainly not fully assimilated into Christian life and its profession of faith, prior to the end of the 4th century. But it is precisely this formulation that has first claim to the title the Trinitarian dogma. Among the Apostolic Fathers, there had been nothing even remotely approaching such a mentality or perspective.”—(1967), Vol. XIV, p. 299.

In The Encyclopedia Americana we read: “Christianity derived from Judaism and Judaism was strictly Unitarian [believing that God is one person]. The road which led from Jerusalem to Nicea was scarcely a straight one. Fourth century Trinitarianism did not reflect accurately early Christian teaching regarding the nature of God; it was, on the contrary, a deviation from this teaching.”—(1956), Vol. XXVII, p. 294L.

According to the Nouveau Dictionnaire Universel, “The Platonic trinity, itself merely a rearrangement of older trinities dating back to earlier peoples, appears to be the rational philosophic trinity of attributes that gave birth to the three hypostases or divine persons taught by the Christian churches. . . . This Greek philosopher’s [Plato, fourth century B.C.E.] conception of the divine trinity . . . can be found in all the ancient [pagan] religions.”—(Paris, 1865-1870), edited by M. Lachâtre, Vol. 2, p. 1467.

John L. McKenzie, S.J., in his Dictionary of the Bible, says: “The trinity of persons within the unity of nature is defined in terms of ‘person’ and ‘nature’ which are G[ree]k philosophical terms; actually the terms do not appear in the Bible. The trinitarian definitions arose as the result of long controversies in which these terms and others such as ‘essence’ and ‘substance’ were erroneously applied to God by some theologians.”—(New York, 1965), p. 899.

Yes, Jesus is God alright. If you notice, Jesus said that if they didn't believe that He was "I AM" they would die in their sins, and they didn't realise He was speaking of the Father (John 8:24 & 27)

Jesus Christ was called "I AM" and so was God of course (Exodus 3:14) that is a huge clue.

Actually when human kind needed a Saviour to die on the Cross for us to be forgiven and saved, the only one perfect enough to be that perfect sacrifice, was God Himself. Well God is a Spirit (John 4:24) and a spirit cannot be crucified on a Cross, so God came to earth in the flesh form of JEsus Christ (John 1:14) and HIMSELF died on the Cross for us.

Therefore, when Jesus was dying on the Cross of Calvary, it was actually GOD IN CHRIST reconciling the world unto Himself (2 Corinthians 5:19).

That's why Jesus Christ's Name was to be call4ed "Emmanuel" because it means, "God with us"

In addition, if you remember, Isaiah prophesied that Jesus Christ's Name would be called, "Wonderful, Counsellor, THE MIGHTY GOD, THE EVERLASTING FATHER, the Prince of Peace. (Isa 9:6).

Jesus could not be called the Mighty God or Everlasting Father, if He were not He.

God is three persons in one. God is Spirit which is Father, God is soul, which is Holy Spirit and God is Body which is Jesus Christ and these three are one (1 John 5:7)

Jesus and His Father are one (John 10:30)

There is no doubt that JEsus Christ is God in flesh. He told the disciples, if you have seen Me, you have seen the Father also because He is in Me and I am in Him etc. (John 14: 9-11 and 17: 21 & 23).

In the beginning was the Word (that's Jesus Christ's Name Rev 19:13) and the Word was with God and the Word WAS GOD. We can never deny that Jesus Christ is God because if we deny the Son, WE DO NOT HAVE THE FATHER EITHER (1 John 2:23).

~ John 10:38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.

Jesus said he is one with the father. After he resurrected Jesus is seated at the right hand of God. So God the father has made Jesus the son God until he takes care of his enemies. Once that is finished he will turn everything back over to God the father that he may be in everything.

~ 1 cor 15:26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

~ 1 cor 15:27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.

~ 1 cor 15:28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

So for now Jesus is in the office of God so to speak only until he finishes making his enemies his footstool.

God bless you!

Bilbo,

Jesus is the God/Man. Before his Incarnation via Mary, He, as the erternal Son, is in a triune and eternal relationship with the eternal Father and Spirit. Because of the IncarnationIn, the eternal Son became manifested in a human body, Jesus of Nazareth. In the Old Testament we read about the LORD (YAHWAH in Hebrew), and that is always singular. Hence in Deuteronomy vi.4: "Hear, O Israel: the LORD our God is one LORD." Notice that here Moses proclaims that God is the LORD. So what? God is plural (Elohim in Hebrew), and is the triune and plural eternal Father, Son and Spirit. Therefore, Deuteronomy vi.4 actually states that the plural Elohim is identical with the singular YAHWAH. So it is that we discern, by the Spirit (of Wisdom and Revelation), that the manifested and triune plurality of Elohim, is one and the same with the glorious manifestation of the singularity of YAHWAH. Now read Psalm lxviii.4 where the nickname for YAHWAH appears as YAH, and is referring to Elohim (God) throughout that Psalm. Hence, the Name of the Fater, Son and Spirit is one-and-the-same YAH; and in conclusion as an answer is also 1John iii.8: "For this purpose the (eternal) Son of God was manifested (as Messiah Jesus), that He might destroy the works of the Devil."

You willl only become enabled to comprehend this wonderful revelation if and when it please YAH Elohim to gift you with eternal Salvation.

Ric

Jesus is the Living Word of God the Rhema of God. The Spoken word that became active,operative and created the world and the universe and us. Jesus is God in human form. He created the world and walked in the garden of eden with Adam and Eve and was in the burning fiery furnace with the 3 hebrew kids and with Daniel in the Lions den.

He is as much God as the Holy Spirit is God.

God is in 3 persons which is a Trinity.

Like and egg has three parts but still is an egg. we have the shell and the yolk and the white. which make up one egg.

(((Bilbo))) thanks great question.

Source(s): Camille bible

I know this is hard to understand, that is why we call it "Faith".

Words are things we use to express ourselves. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was God, and the Word is God.

Jesus was present with God at the creation of the world. God is a Spirit, and at that point, so was Jesus, because He was not only with God, He was God.

Jesus was the "words" by which God expressed Himself to mankind. Jesus was also the sacrifice for the sin of the world, another expression of Gods Love., For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son, that who so ever believed on Him would have everlasting life."

You are trying to understand, that is so very good. Get a good Bible commentary, I would highly recommend, The Believers Commentary by

William Macdonald. It will explain a lot of what you do not understand.

I must compliment you on seeking the truth. I am sure you will find it. God Bless.

• J

The dominating question in the gospels is: "Is Jesus the messiah?"

The question of his divinity or of his Godhood is a Christian invention.

That question would never even have been on the horizon for a Jew, not even Jesus.

A man claiming to be God could have just been laughed off as a nutcase.

A man claiming to be the messiah carried with that claim serious implications about himself, his authority, and the authority of those who were opposing him.

A man claiming to be the messiah would have been taken seriously, and one doing it the way Jesus did, would have been considered a threat.

That is the codex that's missing from your interpretation of John's writing.

Blessings to all. God the father, God the son and God the holy spirit are one....as in being three separate beings that agree in one ideal. no christians who believe in the Trinity, and most any christian really, do not believe in 3 gods. we know there is only 1 God, Father, Jesus & Holy Spirit. a dad is a son a brother, a cousin, and has a soul too.

so it isnt such a stretch that One God is 3 Beings, or completely distinct personas. Jesus the Son, is the One who created all! He is the pillar of fire, and what fell from heaven that was with Moses in the desert.

He is God, he can do anything! If believing is a sign of a weak mind we believers are in great company! albert einstein. strokes group, if your mom & your dad created you and their humans we can say youre human too. since God the Father did begat a Son, and doing so thru Himself as Holy Spirit equally Being God then Jesus is God. mystery revealed! In the following verses you will see that they are indeed 3 separate individuals.... the son being baptized and the spirit of God descending like a dove upon Jesus.... as the father spoke from heaven.... this shows three different individuals all joining as one, for one purpose.Mat 3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:

Mat 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Mark 1:10 And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him:

Mark 1:11 And there came a voice from heaven, [saying], Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

If you believe in God you do believe in Jesus & the Holy Spirit too. Gen 1:26

And God said, Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the Earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Us signifies a God-Head of more than 1 personage

.

Source(s): believe in God the eternal Father, and in His Son Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. Yes, Christ said He and the Father are one. Meaning one in purpose, just as we can be one in purpose with Him. The trinity God head is made up of three separate and distinct personages, the Father and Son have bodies of flesh and bone, the Holy Ghost is of the spirit.

Illusion is that which appears, seems real, but then disappears like a mirage but Truth (reality) is that which is and has been always. Self is a delusion that mixes and dilutes Truth (reality) with illusion. Time is a word we use to describe illusion and its nature while Life is Truth and is always. Life is already Eternal but it is the deluded mind that mixes Life and time and then lives by the philosophy of "lifetime". We have been given time in order to make a decision of which we want more Truth which brings us the nature of the Truth or more illusion which brings us the nature of illusion. Death is the result of the nature of illusion. We must reap what we sow. God simply doesn't want us to wait til we die but to realize the Truth now and humble the time created and therefore illusory self identity for the sake of the Truth which is the imagless Spirit of Life our loving Father whom Jesus came to introduce us to and to teach us how to humble the self.

• ?

You seek to understand oneness and to over throw trinity. Keep studying as the answers to your question are all in the KJV. IN THE BEGINNING WAS THE WORD AND THE WORD WAS WITH GOD AND THE WORD WAS GOD. JESUS IS THE WORD!!! EMANUEL WHAT DOES THAT MEAN. A LITTLE HELP FOR YOUR STUDY. JESUS BLESS YOU. P.S MOSES SAID WHOM SHALL I SAY SENT ME. THE ANSWER I AM SENT YOU. JESUS TOLD HIS DISCIPLE. BEFORE MOSES WAS I AM.. GET IT. MANY MANY SCRIPTURES TEACH ONENESS. HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THE TRINITY TO YOURSELF. LOOK IN THE MIRROR. HOW MANY DO YOU SEE. YET YOU ARE BODY SOUL AND SPIRIT.