Is assisted suicide halal or haram ?

I mean if we were meant to stay alive on machines ,would we not have been born with them attached to us ? At what point is it ok to pull the plug on somebody ?

@ perfume - Assisted suicide is for old or sick people who do not want to go on because the quality of their lives in no longer good. I.E. They have to take to many medicines or have to stay attached to a machine of some sort in order to stay alive.

My point is , it is UN-NATURAL for people to stay alive on drugs and machines, so how do we justify acting like Allah and keeping them alive anyway? Many people in Nursing homes would LOVE the option to die. And I don't see why they should not be allowed to ,if they are actually "artificially" alive anyway.

P.S. I already know the answer, I am just seeing what others say, because there has been allot of Euthanasia questions lately.

Favorite Answer

I hate this concept of assisted suicide.

:S I don't get why people would want to assist to kill somebody.

Assisting someone to do something haram is itself haram.

Since suicide is haraam, assisting in suicide is haraam also.

For example: Interest (Riba, usury) is haram.

Prophet (pbuh) said "Allah has cursed Riba, the one who receives it, the one who gives it, the one who write down its document and the two witnesses… All are equal in sin."

Drinking Alcohol as well as serving alcohol is haram

Even if they love to die, but suicide in all terms is haram.

Narrated Jundab the Prophet said, "A man was inflicted with wounds and he committed suicide, and so Allah said: My slave has caused death on himself hurriedly, so I forbid Paradise for him." ( Sahih Bukhari 2.445 )

Wishing for death is also forbidden!

Hadith - Muslim #6485

Hammam b. Munabbih said: Abu Huraira narrated to us ahadith from Allah's Messenger and out of these one is that Allah's Messenger said: none amongst you should make a request for death, and do not call for it before it comes, for when any of you dies, he ceases (to do good) deeds and the life of a believer is not prolonged but for goodness.

Hadith - Muslim #6480

Anas (b. Malik) reported Allah's Messenger as saying: None of you should make a request for death because of the TROUBLE in which he is involved, but if there is no other help to it, then SAY: O Allah, keep me alive as long as there is goodness in life for me and bring death to me when there is goodness in death for me.

Hadith - Al-Tirmidhi #1613, Narrated Jabin ibn Abdullah [Ahmad transmitted it.]

Allah's Messenger said, "Do not wish for death, for the terror of the place whence one looks down is severe. It is part of a man's happiness that his life should be long and Allah Who is Great and Glorious, should supply him with repentance."

Hadith - Qudsi 28

There was amongst those before you a man who had a wound. He was in [such] anguish that he took a knife and made with it a cut in his hand, and the blood did not cease to flow till he died. Allah the Almighty said: My servant has himself forestalled Me; I have forbidden him Paradise.

The Noble Qur'an - An-Nisa 4:29

...And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allah is Most Merciful to you.

The sick are tested by Allah, and they can't commit suicide, or the assisted suicide or kill themselves or whatever. They have to bear the pains, even it is confirmed that they would die.

Allah has decreed when they would die. Since the treatment can make them live even a bit longer, then that would be the right choice.

If you tell that it is unnatural, then you can never go to any doctor for medicine, diagnosis or treatment as it is un-natural anyway and you depend on it.

Islam teaches that you must not let your life till the Angel of Death comes on your prescribed time.

Islam teaches that the sick should get themselves treated, and ask Allah to cure them, and not lose hope.

Finally if Allah wishes, he would cure them, or if he had decreed he would take their lives.

So conclusion: Assisted suicide is haram. At no point it is ok to pull the plug.

Hope that helps sis

This is such a dumb Q

Sorry (well ur example is anyways)

If a person is brain dead and the hospital said u have no choice it's okay

But from ur Q u wanna do it for the person yourself, la very haram..

It is their test to suffer so they should and pray to Allah for patience. May Allah swt make it easy for him/her ameen.

you look like a born stupid who thinks with the help of machines attached with her empty head.

Born with machines attached us?

Why? especially when we are born healthly.

This new term 'assisted suicide' - what does that mean?

I am asking you.

i think you should keep them attached as long as you can!

No its not ok, religiously speaking.

where your own free will gone? to eat grass? ? ?

• No its not ok, not religiously speaking.

There is always hope...

thanks for caring about islam..