Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 8 years ago

1- Is there a difference in thee thickening and gelling effect between flour and corn starch? If so. Why?

Favorite Answer

Flour is good for making a roue and corn starch is just a good thickening agent, whenever I use flour as a thickener it gets lumpy. I prefer corn starch for most things and only use flour in roue.

Flour is mixed with butter (or some times oil or another fat) to make a roux. That is the classic French way to thicken all kinds of things.

Corn starch on the other hand is mixed with water to form what is called a slurry and can also be used to thicken things. A slurry is more common in Asian cooking.

For whatever reason(s) some times using the slurry can make things more on the gloppy side. I would imagine that it has something to do with the fact that it is a different kind of starch and the fact that it is being mixed with water and not fat.