Did Alabama screw itself with its new immigration law?

Alabama passed the toughest immigration law in the land - asking students to prove their citizenship and giving officers the right to request the citizenship of detained individuals. Now their whole agriculture industry is in the toilet. There are 11,000 farming jobs left vacant and crops are spoiling in the fields because nobody will work it. They even had 25 Alabamans pick fruit and they gave up halfway through the day! The 25 couldn't even do the work normally done by four Mexicans!

"In a test arranged by Grow Alabama director Jerry Spencer, 25 Alabamians picked fewer tomatoes per day than one four-man crew of Hispanics. The brutal stoop labor broke down many of the 25 physically, and they quit right away. "They're just not capable," Spencer said."

Favorite Answer

It would not surprise me that people who had never done hard physical labor would not be able to do such jobs at first. No doubt they realized they were being paid less than minimum wage.

The state caused its own problems. They should have set up a plan to help the unemployed take this work by providing transportation from nearby cities. .

• Yeah Maybe... But why don't these "workers" work at coming here legally. So good riddance. People will get off the butts and pick fruit and stuff eventually.

There are laws in this country...don't like it go back from where you came or go through the legal way to get here. I'm sure there are worker visas waiting for people at the border.

I'll bet the Alabammyans are going to be done brown when the price they pay for fruit and veggies goes through the roof because of all the produce rotting in the field. They might support the laws now, but once they realize there's noone to do the crappy work for them, they'll change their tune.

It certainly seems that way, since the Americans don't want pick 12 hours a day in 90 degree heat.

You know, the farmers who hired them are breaking the law. They are just as guilty as the illegals and have contributed to the problem of illegal immigration.

Alabaman Americans are a lazy breed. We need a fence to keep them out.

Seriously? My *** is moving to Alabama! Jobs here I come.

• team

Where is your link that 25 Alabamans couldn't do the the work of 4 illegals?

I think you're just making sht up

I see a thumbs down, but still no link

I dare you to post a link

Source(s): Thank you for the link. Well, then if these 25 Alabamans are on welfare, it needs to be stopped if they can't do manual labor to earn their keep. And anyone else who refuses to do manual labor should also have theirs stopped
  • John W

Get the prisoners to pick fruit