A good costume? Or culturally offending?

At my school, for Halloween, we are not allowed to dress up in costumes that portray different cultures. I was going to dress as a geisha until I heard this, and then decided to just dress in a kimono. I am not Asian, but I am very interested in japanese culture, and and am going to wear a kimono because I respect... show more At my school, for Halloween, we are not allowed to dress up in costumes that portray different cultures. I was going to dress as a geisha until I heard this, and then decided to just dress in a kimono. I am not Asian, but I am very interested in japanese culture, and and am going to wear a kimono because I respect the culture. For those out there who are Japanese, would you be offended if someone dressed in a kimono for Halloween, and how would it offend you. This also goes for other cultures. I see the point that the school is trying to make, but how is it fair that I can't wear a kimono, but someone of non-Caucasian ethnicity is allowed to wear a Victorian ballgown? If I have said anything that might offend someone, please know it was not on purpose. I just feel like my rights to express myself have been denied, and I would like the publics opinion. Thanks!
4 answers 4