Top chef University.....reviews.....for a home chef who wants some skills?

Favorite Answer

I don't know much about food — my cooking expertise is limited to a smoothie recipe I learned from LL Cool J — but I want to. Kind of. Which probably makes me the ideal student for the new online culinary school, Top Chef University, launched today in association with the Padma Lakshmi showcase/Bravo hit, Top Chef.

For those of you who are already good at cooking, TCU is probably not for you. But a guy who refuses to bring anything but wine to a potluck? There could be no better test.$25 buys you one course, or $200 gets you one year of access to their entire curriculum, which includes over 60 hours of instruction from past contestants. There's no Padma, but there is the chance to get Top Chef certified (!), which hopefully means a printed certificate.

Since today is the first day of the course, I consider it orientation. By which I mean I went on the Web site and chose Kevin, the bearded redhead from the Las Vegas season, to be my guide, looked around long enough to know that I might be out of my league, and decided I'd work on it later.

So far it's feels exactly like my real college experience, only this time I'll be accompanied by a guy who looks like Yukon Cornelius, and I have a much better chance of making the football team. I just wish they had sweatshirts.

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/blogs/food-for-men/top-chef...