What type of pet frog should i get?

Im thinking about getting a pet frog and i have a few questions.

1)What breed should i get?

I want one that is quiet small,low maintenance and doesn't live that long (no more than 10 years) and is good for beginners.

2)If they live in the water what water do you use?(E.g. no chlorine or bottled)

3) How many should i get?

Favorite Answer

Your best bet is to go to a book store or library and get some books on frogs.

I got stuck with an African Clawed frog and really didn't know anything about them. When I attempted to put some Cories in the tank, he thought they were lunch! I saved my fish, but it was close. They will eat anything that will fit in their mouths! He now lives in a 30 gallon all by himself (waste of a tank, imo). I don't recommend ACFs, they get fairly big and can live 25 years. They are also messy and require diligent tank maintenance.

Many people love African Dwarf frogs. If you choose an aquatic frog, you need to get some beginner's books on aquarium keeping, their needs are similar to keeping fish. You should plan on at least a 10 gallon tank. That is usually adequate for a frog. You will use room-temperature tap water to which you have added a conditioner/chlorine remover (such as Aqua Safe or Start Right), you will need a tank outfitted with hood, filter, and I believe a heater. ADFs are very small and peaceful, they can be successfully kept in a tank with fish.

That is all I know on the subject. Read some books on them to know what species there are, what to expect and what you are getting into. Good luck!

Source(s): Hobbyist for many years.

If you have to get a frog, a firebellied toad is in general the quality option. Frogs don't normally make well pets for babies nonetheless, because the are fragile and should not be dealt with more often than not. If he's satisfactory with now not interacting together with his puppy, then a pair firebellied toads might be satisfactory. Otherwise, opt for a hamster, snake, or leopard gecko, or wait until he is older.