promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Difference between SATA 3 and SATA 2 cables?

Recently purchased a HyperX SSD, and the listed specs is with a SATA III cable (6 GB/S)

I have SATA III Capability with my mobo, but I'm using a standard SATA II red cable.

Am I utilizing the 6 GB/S speed? Or is it down-shifted and hindered by the SATA 2 cable?

Thanks in advance!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Hi the difference is the sata 3 cables are screened cables so it could make a difference i suppose.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

I won't guarantee it but a cable is a cable so you should be able to use a sata 2 cable for a sata 3 connection.

If it doesn't work at the minimum speed then get a sata 3 cable I suppose.

If you look at this page it is a sata 2 cable capable of a sata 3 connection speed of 6 gbs

Source(s): Computer Tech
  • 4 years ago

SATA II misnomer well-known utilization would confer with the SATA 3 Gbit/s specification as Serial ATA II (SATA II or SATA2), opposite to the desires of the Serial ATA international business enterprise (SATA-IO) which defines the standard. SATA II grow to be initially the call of a committee defining as much as date SATA standards, of which the three Gbit/s usual grow to be basically one. even nonetheless because of the fact it grow to be between the main widespread good factors defined by using the former SATA II committee, and, greater heavily, the term "II" is often used for successors, the call SATA II became synonymous with the three Gbit/s usual, so the team has on the grounds that replaced names to the Serial ATA international business enterprise, or SATA-IO, to steer clear of greater advantageous confusion. Firewire is the device.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.