US citizenship naturalization form N-400 question?

I got stuck on Part 7 where I have to record my "time outside the US". The problem is that I forgot the date that I left the US. On my passport, only the date that I returned to US is recorded.

Those trips are over 5 years ago. I checked with the airline, but they don't have any record.

Any tips please? Thank you!

Favorite Answer

Just use the approximate date to the best of your memory. When you go in for your interview, you can always clarify to the officer that you don't have a record of the exact date. In fact, you should mention this just so they can make a note and you will never be accused of "lying." But if you use the approximate date and are honest in the interview, it will not be a problem.

Question A, B, and C are related. A is most general. B is more specific. C ist most specific.

A. How many days have you been outside the U.S. -- in the past 5 years?

B. Okay, how many of these trips were over 24 hours -- in the past 5 years?

C. Fine, finally, list those trips.

Nothing beyond 5 years matters.

Source(s): I'm a natural-born German and Swedish citizen and naturalized U.S. citizen. I have an educational background in philosophy and political science and work as a corporate attorney in California. Since I’m an immigrant myself, I’m interested in immigration law in general and issues concerning multiple citizenships in particular.

Use the approximate date.