I need 3.. What does Basal Metabolism rate depends on?
- babybeastLv 49 years agoFavorite Answer
AGE: BMR tends to decrease as we get older because of increased percentage body fat; children have a higher BMR because of the energy cost of growth
• SIZE: BMR tends to be greater in tall, thin people
• BODY COMPOSITION: Those with a high percentage lean body mass (low percentage fat) tend to have high BMRs because muscle is metabolically more active than fat
• BREAST-FEEDING: BMR is higher in nursing mothers than other women, because of the energy cost of synthesizing milk
• DIETING: BMR decreases during a weight-loss diet, fasting, or starvation
• EXERCISE: BMR increases with regular, very strenuous exercise, but is probably little affected by moderate levels of activity
• MALNUTRITION: BMR decreases during malnutrition
• PREGNANCY: BMR increases during pregnancy
• SEX: BMR is higher in males than females even at the same body weight because of their relatively large bulk of muscle
• STRESS: BMR increases during periods of emotional stress
• THYROID ACTIVITY: BMR is regulated by a hormone, thyroxine, secreted by the thyroid gland. It increases if the thyroid is overactive and decreases if the thyroid is underactive
• WEATHER: BMR increases during both very cold and hot weather.