Terms for judges under the U.S Department of Justice ?

I know a guy who is a judge under the Executive Office of Immigration Review (EOIR) for the Department of justice.

Does he have a life tenure?It says judges under this office are appointed by the attorney general. I thought the president appointed federal judges though? I'm unsure of how this whole system works. I know that in article 3 of the constitution there is one Supreme Court and all inferior courts are established by the Congress. But Is he a federal judge? Would he be in an appellate court or district court? If he is under the Department of Justice doesn't that make him an executive judge because that is a department under the executive branch??

I'm so confused!!!!! Please help!

Favorite Answer

These types of judges serve at the pleasure of the President, and will offer their resignation when a new President is elected.

They are not Federal Judges who were approved by a vote of the Senate and serve a life term.