Is low blood pressure something to worry about?

I'm about 20 kilos overweight and I have low blood pressure. So far it hasn't caused me any problems that I know of, aside from getting dizzy if I don't stand up slowly.

I found out about it when I found out I have epilepsy thus year. I mentioned the dizziness to my neuro and he took my blood pressure and sure enough, I have low blood pressure. He said it's good for a long life. Is it something I should worry about?

Favorite Answer

Many people worry about high blood pressure. They take medication, change their diet, exercise, all because their blood pressure is too high. But how many people think about having low blood pressure? A normal blood pressure, as everyone learns in school health class now, is 120/80 and varies close to those numbers. For someone to be considered to have low blood pressure, the numbers should be below 90/60. When someone has chronically low blood pressure, it is called hypotension, not to be confused with hypertension, which is high blood pressure. Most of the time, especially in very active people like athletes, low blood pressure is considered a sign of health and not something to worry about. In some cases though, low blood pressure can be a sign of something else that is going wrong in a person's body.

One of the most common things that people notice with low blood pressure is called Postural Hypotension. This is a sudden drop in blood pressure when someone stands from a prone or sitting position, and most people have felt it at one time or another. The symptoms of Postural Hypotension are dizziness and lightheadedness, and they usually fade every quickly. WebMD says that this condition is actually your nervous system not reacting correctly to sudden changes in your body.

Low blood pressure can be caused by many things, some of which are pregnancy, medications, overdosing on high blood pressure medications, heart failure, or liver disease. It can also be caused by someone going into shock. As I said, some people have low blood pressure because they're in prime physical condition. Others, though, have underlying problems that cause hypotension.

• Jxsxn

No you wont get to live for more than 72 hours!!!!..... wait a minute i'm not a doctor. in fact nobody here is a doctor doctors are busy doing stuff like talking to patients who end up asking homeless people how to live their lives

So maybe just trust what the dr says relax off the sugar and get back on the street and do your job

Source(s): www.wilcoshare.com
  • Chrys

not unless your Dr says it is