Why Is my 1990 Oldmobile Cutlass Ciera acting like this?

It will stall at stoplights or when the engine is idling, I thought It must be fuel injection so I changed the fuel filter to see if that would help, It did for a little while the fuel filter was really clogged it ran fine for about a week, now its doing the same thing. Its really anoying and frustrating I have to put the car in park at every light and stop sign and keep revving the engine or it dies. Anyone have any ideas or ways I can fix this? Oh yeah and the check engine light is on but because its a 90 they cant pin down whats causing it, the computer is not smart enough.

My car is a 6 cylinder and everywhere I look it says the 6 doesn't have an EGR valve, do you know what else it might be?

• Benz
    Favorite Answer

Try removing and cleaning the "EGR Valve," or replacing it all together. The cost of a new "EGR Valve," is around $60.00 for your vehicle.

Good Luck !

Additional Details, 10/25/11 10:30PM EST ...

RE: My car is a 6 cylinder and everywhere I look it says the 6 doesn't have an EGR valve, do you know what else it might be?

OK, you are not going to find an "EGR Valve," on your car, "3.3L 204 cubic inch V6 MFI (N) OHV." Keeping in mind your car is 22 years old, I would have a qualified mechanic check the "Crank Position Sensor," and or "Crank Sensor."

Good Luck !

If changing the fuel filter helped for about a week I'd change it again and see how dirty it is. You might have a bunch of stuff in your tank. Do you have any enemies that might want to sabotage your car? Run a good fuel cleaner. Take a look at the injector. 2.5 liter I assume???? The injector should spray a nice mist into the intake, if not replace the injector. I've seen that multiple times before on 2.5's