Is boston worth the cold weather?

Im a senior, live in dallas, Tx, all of my family lives in boston/new england area. I applied to UGA, Texas A&M, Tufts, Northeastern, Boston College, and i'm likely to be accepted to most if not all of them(i know this seems like a stretch of an comment but i'm in-state for texas a&M, and have A LOT of alumni/connections to tufts/bc)

I know this seems like a stupid question, i just want to go somewhere open minded, where i can meet new chill people and just be happy. the problem is, I absoulutely hate cold weather, and i have Raynaud's phenomenon which doesn't help.

I was going to apply to UT, it sounds like my dream school, but i had no chance of getting in (not in top 7%,). A&M has a great engineering program but I'm not sure if i can thrive there(The stereotype is that its not liberal or, redneck conservative. i know this isn't true but it just seems like Boston is much more diverse)

Help.

Favorite Answer

I live in Boston and this is NOT a friendly place. At all. However, you would probably make friends at college, which would help. Also the winter can be REALLY harsh here. If you want a place where people are more friendly, why not try California? I have a friend who just got back from San Diego and he loved it there. And they have GREAT weather!

Source(s): My own personal experience.

No doubt the winters in New England are terrible. I moved to New England from the Seattle area, but have lived in lots of parts of the US. EVERY single winter I curse New England when the high for the month has been 20 degrees and that fine snow blows off a roof and goes down the back of my jacket. For as sucky as the winter is, the other 3 seasons are better than anywhere else in the country.

You will meet lots of people in college, regardless of where you go. As my daughters discovered few of their preconceived ideas about college life turned out to be true. The thing that got both of them was home sickness. Be 150% certain you can live a 3 hour plane flight away from home before you make the big move.

Boston is uber-liberal, it's the anti-Texas.

I'll just comment that I think Boston is the BEST "town" to go to college in the US. There are are ~100 college campus' in the Boston metro area, it's the biggest college town in the world.

If you really hate the cold (can't blame you) then consider going to Arizona or Arizona State. If you can qualify to get into BC, then you can get into either of those schools.

I'm from the Boston area and I'm in the same position as you and looking for colleges to go to next year! I think it really depends on if you think you can deal with the snow, some people just can't. On that note, if you can, I think New England is beautiful during winter, but the city is miserable, I'm not going to lie to you. I'm also applying to Northeastern and did you know that they have a heated underground tunnel system that connects all the main buildings on campus? That way you can avoid the snow! My friend's brother's roommate is from Texas also and he loves it here, he spends Thanksgiving with her family every year and has a great time with all his friends here. I really hope this helps.

Tough call

The Boston area has many many positive, but winters here are incredibly nasty

Personally I would have left long ago if given the opportunity

Still there is an awful lot to do here

the culture is progressive and forward thinking

there is great scenery (except in winter, winter is ugly)

If you are in the city the T will take you almost everywhere

You want to consider someplace warm and progressive thinking like California

Source(s): ..

I love Boston but winter is miserable, especially since you'll be walking around in it all the time. It's not a driving city - even if you had a car you wouldn't drive it most of the time because nearby parking is too impossible to find. I used to live in Boston and moved to Dallas :)

It's cold...but it's not a big deal and it's a great place to meet people, learn, get jobs, etc. The positives outweigh the bad. You can literally take the subway to your internships and everywhere else.

some people, some winters and some places can be nasty and so can other places, it depends

i love boston, all weather