Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicOther - Entertainment · 9 years ago

Help! I'm in a reading funk...YA series suggestions?!?

Okay so i am a HUGE fan of YA action and adventure/romance series. I am so picky about the books i read so i apologize in advance for being difficult:P

anyways, i LOVE books that are based on the adventure and action. It has to have a solid romance that builds and builds in the book, the characters can't just meet and instantly fall in love, they have to be challenged and put through all sorts of crazy stuff and THEN realize just how much they love each other. Also, the romance can't be too Pg-13. it's more believable when things get really heated between characters.

It has to be from the POV of the heroine. (sorry i know I'm being picky)

There has to be at least two books out in the series(well I will make exceptions on this one(X )

The heroine has to be totally kick-***:P No wimpy cry baby women:P

Here are some series i have read and LOVED!:

Hunger games(That's a given:P)

Mortal instruments(amazing)

Tigers curse series (SO good i' in love with Ren<3)

Vampire academy!(probably my favorite<3)

gemma doyle series(Okay i cried so hard at the ending, threw the book, and swore to never read it again.....so pissed he turned into an effing tree...):)

Matched

Unearthly

Divergent

please don't suggest:

Twilight

Uglies series

fallen

hush, hush

Shiver series

Minder series

SO sorry for being picky but I'm desperate! I have tried so many series but none have had the right balance of romance and action and adventure); Thanks(:

Favorite Answer

As a major Vampire Academy/Hunger Games fan, here are some books/series I recommend to you. :)

***

Bloodlines by Richelle Mead ♥

*The Golden Lily - releases June 19, 2012

Note: You might know about this already, but this is the spin-off series to Vampire Academy. Every VA fan is going to want to check this out. There's not really much romance going on in book 1, but I expect there will be quite a bit of forbidden romance later on in the series!! :) Sydney is the main character, and while she's not too much like Rose, she's still pretty badass in her own way.

The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver ♥

*Soul Thief

*Forgiven - releases February 28, 2012

Note: I love this series and I'm hoping there will be more after book 3. Riley is a totally kickass girl and Beck is an absolute hottie!! :D There's some romance in it (PG-13 and still manages to be hot) but I'm still waiting for these two to realize how much they love each other. I have it on good authority it'll happen soon. This series isn't in 1st person pov and it switches from following Riley and Beck (and one or two others at times). But you should give it a chance if you want a really good kickass paranormal series.

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder ♥

*Magic Study ♥

*Fire Study

Note: One of my favorites. :) Yelena was such a strong heroine; she learns how to fight and use a bo staff. She definitely reminded me of Rose at times. And Valek... yum. :P There's some good romance action going on in this one. ;)

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi - releases November 15, 2011

Note: Okay, I know it's not out yet, but I got a chance to read some of it early and WOW!! The girl seems sort of wimpy at first, but I suspect she'll become pretty kickass by the end of the book. With a tagline like "My touch is power" you get a good sense that some epic type stuff is going to go down. And Adam... *sigh*

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte ♥

Note: One of my all time favorite novels. It's got some supernatural elements, and honestly, it's like one of the most epic love stories ever.

Chime by Franny Billingsley ♥

Note: One of my favorite books this year. As soon as I finished, I wanted to flip it back around and start it again. I really loved it. Hope you will too. :)

Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder ♥

*Outside In

Note: Riley is so adorable!! :) I absofreakinglutely loved Inside Out. Trella is yet another kickass heroine. Plus there's a decent amount of romance action. ;)

My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent

*My Soul to Save

*My Soul to Keep

*My Soul to Steal

*If I Die

*Before I Wake - releases 2012

Note: Have read book 1. So far it's pretty good. :)

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

*Wolfsbane

*Bloodrose - releases February 21, 2012

Blood Red Road by Moira Young ♥

Note: Ahhh... I loved it!! This book keeps getting compared Hunger Games, and while I could see *some* similarities, the two are so totally different. I loved both though. :) Can't wait for book 2!!

Glass Houses by Rachel Caine

*The Dead Girl's Dance

*Midnight Alley

*Feast of Fools

*Lord of Misrule

*Carpe Corpus

*Fade Out

*Kiss of Death

*Ghost Town

*Bite Club

*Last Breath - releases November 1, 2011

Note: Never read this myself, but I keep hearing great things about it. :) Also, vampires.

The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab

Note: This was awesome. If you like spooky fairy tales, it's perfect for you. The heroine constantly defies her uncle in order to get down to the mystery of the missing children... also hot mysterious stranger comes to town. :P

Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready

*Shift

*Shine - releases May 1, 2012

Note: I've only read book 1 so far but omgosh. Two words. Zachary Moore. *swoon* Also, ghosts and mysteries... and Irish rock bands. :P

Fateful by Claudia Gray

Note: Werewolves on the Titanic? What? I haven't read it yet but it sounds cool!

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Note: I actually have no idea what this is about... but I keep hearing great things about it. I can't wait to find out what happens. So in the dark on this one...

The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch

Note: The main character of this is a guy. I actually haven't read it yet but I would really like to!! With a recommendation from Suzanne Collins (author of Hunger Games) I'd say it's definitely worth checking out.

Tempest by Julie Cross - releases January 3, 2012

Note: I won an ARC but I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet. So far I like it. And time travel is always cool. The main character is also a guy and it's all from his pov as far as I can tell. But there's some pretty neat things going on in this book. He has to save his girlfriend but he's stuck in the past.

Legend by Marie Lu - releases November 29, 2011

Note: So... this isn't out yet either but it looks really cool!!

Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder - releases December 20, 2011

Note: This one just sounds awesome. I can't wait to get my hands on it!!

The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer is so amazingly fantastic. You must read it.