If you speak to a therapist and admit that you're having suicidal thoughts, do they have to report this?

I have been married for 3 years to an alcoholic who has become extremely abusive. I recently reached out to a therapist to seek Psychotherapy for severe depression. When my husband found out, he berated me for admitting to having suicidal thoughts because he said that the therapist has to report this and I may be... show more I have been married for 3 years to an alcoholic who has become extremely abusive. I recently reached out to a therapist to seek Psychotherapy for severe depression. When my husband found out, he berated me for admitting to having suicidal thoughts because he said that the therapist has to report this and I may be made a ward of the state and I could be put away or it could be on my record and affect my chances of ever getting a job, credit etc. I don't know if he's telling me the truth because this is part of the abusive nature of this relationship but am now fearful. I told the therapist that I have had suicidal thoughts. I have even looked at my husband's gun and thought that it could be over in a second but I will not do it. I have kids and would never put them through that. I told the therapist that my feelings of despair and helplessness lead to these thoughts. I have felt so trapped in this abusive relationship and have no way of leaving him, yet. Please help. I am now feeling even more anxious since he told me this. I live in the State of California.
Update: Thank you so much to those who have reached out and provided some peace of mind. I did have a feeling that my husband was manipulating me once again. He does not want me to seek help because he's afraid of being exposed. I'm definitely not in danger of committing suicide even though these thoughts have crossed my... show more Thank you so much to those who have reached out and provided some peace of mind. I did have a feeling that my husband was manipulating me once again. He does not want me to seek help because he's afraid of being exposed. I'm definitely not in danger of committing suicide even though these thoughts have crossed my mind. Unfortunately my husband overheard me talking about this and that's why the issue came up. He railed on at me for an hour about how stupid I am to have told anyone that I feel suicidal and said I could be locked away and this would be on my record forever and prevent me from getting a job or credit. This made me feel really afraid and so your answers have helped me. I will be able to sleep tonight.