Gumbo recipes ....:)?

or can u list some of the things u love in your gumbo :) thanks !

• Tom K
    Favorite Answer

The thing about Gumbo is that every family seems to have their own little variation on it. The recipe below looks like a good one. To MY mouth, Gumbo should have okra. If you don't have fresh, then use frozen. Not canned. I like a darkness to my Gumbo so I cook the roux slowly until it looks like melted chocolate. I don't like it too thin, but not too thick either. I know...how does one explain that. Thicker than soup but thinner than gravy does seem like a good description. Thick enough to give it a richness, and a satisfying feel to the mouth. I like a Cajun Gumbo with chicken, sausage, shrimp and crab. But you can use seafood only for a Creole Gumbo. Or just use chicken and sausage if you like. Make it with what you like. Don't rush it. Let it simmer a long time. But don't overcook the seafood...that should go in more toward the end.

And the recipe below definitely needs the addition of some cayenne pepper or Louisiana Hot Sauce. Add a bit, cook, taste. You can add more if needed. But you can never remove it once it's in the pot. Just enough to give it a nice pepper edge but not hot by any means. You can always add more hot sauce at the table.

I like a nice thick File gumbo with Chicken & Andouille but you can put anything in Gumbo just so long as you start with a good Roux.

Chicken and sausage is classic. I won't put okra or tomatoes under any circumstances. The Little Red Gumbo Book has a perfect recipe.

• ?

okra is the main thing i like in all my gumbos whether it is with seafood, chicken or other game.

My favorite gumbo is duck and orka gumbo with andouille sausage.

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/soups/gumbo-de-savo...

edit: If you do not like okra in your gumbo you have not had real gumbo and must not be form louisiana.

I like chicken and andouille sausage (pronounced an-DEW-ee).