What is the political definition of congressional session?

• Map
    Favorite Answer

The Congressional session is made up of two years.

100 % of the members of the House of Representatives are up for election every two years. We elect during an even # year (November of 2010) and they take office in January of 2011 and they serve until Jan of 2013. That is a Congressional Session.

Now the Senators are elected for a six year term. The President serves a four year term. So their term will overlap the Congressional Session. We count by the Congressional Session not by a Presidential or Senatorial Session. We are in the 112 Congressional Session.

Every even # year in November will will at least elect 1/3 of the Senators, 100 % of the Members of the House of Representative and every other election we will elect the President. In 2010 we did not have a candidate for President in 2012 we will.

Great Question by the way.

Map

• furst

Congressional Session Definition

Session Government Definition

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): political definition congressional session: https://tr.im/dez0G

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/4oOZR

Nope, not mine. Here's an email that I received today from my blue dog (a person I voted for, against a Republican contender). Last week, National Journal magazine released its 2009 Vote Ratings for the first session of the 111th Congress. The well-respected publication named me as the most conservative Democrat, and among the “centrists” in the House. In fact, according to the study, my voting record is more conservative than 11 Republicans. For its vote study, the National Journal examines 92 specific- and significant- votes cast, as opposed to other publications which often include procedural and non-controversial votes in their studies. I came to Washington to keep my country strong and represent my constituents- not a political party or special interest. Publication after publication has affirmed my independent-minded approach, and I will continue to put the interests of my country and district first. People across America are demanding that Congress work together to improve the economy and get our fiscal house in order. We can’t do this unless we put aside partisan politics. I stand ready to work with anyone to solve these pressing issues without compromising my core values. The National Journal study does note some troubling trends in congressional voting records, however. The study found “telling consistency in the long-standing ideological divides that define legislative battles on Capitol Hill. Some of those gulfs have deepened as the decades-long partisan sorting of liberals and conservatives into opposing camps continued apace last year.” I am proud that I am an exception to the growing ideological divide in Congress. Too many Members of Congress are at the extremes, and the American people lose when we divide ourselves. The middle is where we solve serious problems and our country does its best work. As we conduct the people’s business, all members would be well-served to take the National Journal’s findings to heart. A small, but important, step in lowering health care costs Last Thursday, I voted in favor of repealing antitrust exemptions for the health care industry. The Health Insurance Industry Fair Competition Act repeals certain sections of the McCarran-Ferguson Act, which protects health insurance companies from the same antitrust laws that govern nearly all other industries. Repealing the 65-year old law will make the health insurance industry more competitive, and remove protections that had previously shielded them from investigations into price fixing, dividing up territories among themselves, and attempts to gain monopolies. The bill passed 406 – 19, with strong bipartisan support. This is a commonsense change in law that removes health care industry protections that are, by definition, anticompetitive. When the debate on health care reform began early last summer, I made it clear that I wanted a free-market approach to health care reform that makes incremental- but effective- changes to the laws governing our health care system. I can think of no better way to ensure the free market works than subjecting the health insurance industry to the same protections that create fairness and competition in all other industries. Evidence has shown that repealing such exemptions can have a positive effect. For instance, California removed antitrust exemptions on auto insurance in 1988. Since then, auto premiums have only risen 9.8% whereas the rest of the country has seen premiums rise by an average of 48%. Additionally, two separate bipartisan commissions, including one established during the Bush Administration, recommended repealing McCarran-Ferguson. In fact, the Bush Administration commission stated that the antitrust exemption has “outlived any utility it may have had and should be repealed.” Make no mistake about it- I do not support the current health care reform bills being considered. They go too far and are too drastic. However, the Health Insurance Industry Fair Competition Act is a strong and sensible proposal that is long overdue. If we can continue to take small and targeted steps that garner bipartisan support, then we can have health care reform that the American people trust and support. These crucial elements have unfortunately been lacking in the debate. Let’s hope the passage of this legislation marks a new day in Washington. As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact my offices at the numbers below. It is my great pleasure to serve you and the entire Second District of Alabama. Sincerely,