Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

World Religions assignment, please answer the following questions for non-Christians...?

This is for school, we are studying other religions and have to interview someone with a non-Christian religion, I don't know many so please answer the following questions in as much detail as you can and to the best of your ability...

1. What does your religion mean to you? Socially and Culturally?

2. How do you live out in your faith in your everyday life?

3. If you had to choose just one, what is a meaningful part of your sacred scripture to you? Or how has it influenced you?

4. What aspects of your faith are most challenging to you? or How can it be difficult for you to live out your religion in today's culture?

5. What holy place is most significant to your faith and why?

6.Have you been to this holy place or other holy place yet?

(if yes) What was it like?

(if no) Do you plan to go in future?

How important is it to your faith?

7. What happens when you leave this life? Do you believe in an afterlife?

8. How do you explain the suffering in the world? (I know this is hard, but attempt to answer please)

9. Why are you here on earth? What is your meaning in life?

Thank you so much in advance, this will really help me with my assignment.I know some questions are really hard but please attempt them anyway. Thank you

Thank you to everyone who has already answered. It would be really helpful also if I could get some answers from major world religions. For those following Atheism you may need to rephrase the questions eg. question 3 could be a meaningful quote and 6. could be your dream place to go, thanks again for using your time to answer these questions

• Mathew
    Favorite Answer

I am a Noachide or a "Righteous Gentile". That is basically "Judaism for non-Jews." It is also the world's oldest religion, and that's according to the rabbis, who learned it from Moses, who learned it from God. I have scant little social interaction with other Noachides except on-line.

I study the Torah and the Laws as they apply to me. I pray if and when I want to. I am also trying to learn how to recite/sing the Sh'ma by heart.

Ezekiel 18 explains how we can deal with our failings in keeping God's Laws. The Sh'ma tells us WHY we should keep God's Laws.

I think the most challenging aspect of God's Laws for me are the dietary restrictions, because I don't live where appropriately slaughtered meats are readily available.

The home, and after that, God's Home (the Temple Mount being the most famous place where God's Dwelling Place stood).

Yes.

(if yes) What was it like?

It was awesome.

(if no) Do you plan to go in future?

Yes.

How important is it to your faith?

It's not necessary, but not forbidden, either. I look forward to the day when there is a Temple to God there.

I wrote out a long piece on that several years ago. In short, there is an afterlife or reward or punishment, if we have earned one or the other [heaven and hell are the same place (that being the Divine Presence of God), the different experiences being determined by who is doing the experiencing; there can be no punishment greater for a sinner than to be in the Divine Presence of God, nor could there be any greater reward for the righteous than to be in the Divine Presence of God], and reincarnation if we merit that, and utter annihilation if we have been so reprehensible that we are not worth salvaging.

Evil and suffering happen to us so that we can pay for our sins here and reap our reward for our good deeds in the hereafter, or to encourage us to improve here-and-now; evil and suffering happen to others so that we can fight to limit the harm done, overcome the harm, eradicate the harm, and so that we may help those others deal with their suffering, overcome it, recover from it.

I am here so that I may merit a reward in the hereafter. I can do that by helping others here-and-now, but not for the reward, but rather because it is the right thing to do.

• James

1. I'm an atheist. Religion doesn't mean anything to me.

2. I smell the flowers, I taste wine, I listen to Mozart's violin concertos. I read about the life and the universe. And I enjoy comedy as much as I enjoy science. I live for the sensual and intellectual pleasures, but for the end result of feeling emotions. I believe in moderation, and yet, like any normal human being my ultimate raison d'etre is to feel.

3. I have read the Bible and the Bhagavad Gita, but perhaps the most meaningful quote to me is this one by Richard Feynman: "I too can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more?"

4. The most difficult thing about being an atheist is wondering what the future hold. We already face challenges like getting passed up for promotion because we are atheists or being denied child custody (yes, this really happens). I constantly worry that a day will come when we systematically persecuted.

5. We don't have a holy place. I do rather like Banff and Jasper National Parks, though.

6. I've been to Banff National Park several times. It's absolutely beautiful and I recommend everyone to visit it at least once.

7. Nothing happens. I don't believe in an afterlife any more than I believe in a beforebirth. Death can be best approximated as a long dreamless sleep - you won't even know you're dead. I plan to spend the afterlife at Green-Wood on Fifth.

8. It happens.

9. See #2.

A) Without religion. Secular (atheist.)

A) Being a good and moral person. I smile.

A) I need no scripture, I am my own author to my life, and I take from the many examples of good people

A) N/a

A) My home. It is where I am safe.

(if yes) What was it like?

A) All the time.

(if no) Do you plan to go in future?

A) In it right now.

How important is it to your faith?

A) It is where I can be in solitude and reflect upon myself.

A) Idk, most likely rot. I choose not to care since death is inevitable.

A) Humanity and their skew view on right and wrong.

A) I assign my own meaning.

1. Am a polytheist, and what it means to me is quite personal.

2. As best I can. I think of my gods daily, give them little nods when I have a moment in my busy day to think. Small things to acknowledge or honor them, nothing big or overly ceremonial. They thankfully don't require that.

3. My faith doesn't have a sacred scripture that I know of. It comes from the heart for me.

4. Challenges are thankfully few. Mostly just taking the time out of my busy mortal life to acknowledge the gods. They are thankfully quite forgiving and understanding of the trappings of mortal life.

5. There's no one place that is sacred and holy to my faith. All of nature is sacred, so if I respect nature, I am therefore honoring the gods.

6. See above. My faith is pretty simple and easy to follow in my own way, and on my own time.

7. Yes, I believe in an afterlife. Not Heaven or Hell as my Christian neighbors would, merely a place where we can be reunited with our loved ones and friends, free of pain and heartache that we feel as mortals. Only the truly heroic or truly evil would ever be rewarded or punished by the gods. Most folks simply enjoy the afterlife with their families.

8. Suffering in evil don't come from supernatural sources. We do it to ourselves with our actions, words, even inactions. Anytime we are careless, we hurt others. Then they suffer and if we're any sort of decent human being, we suffer for hurting someone we care about. We suffer when we see the state of the world and feel helpless to do anything about it. It is self-inflicted, not a punishment or on account of something supernatural beyond our control.

9. For me, the meaning of life is to be figured out by each person. Everyone has their place in life, and we all struggle to find that place. Some of us are called to do great things, while others can do little more than find their way in the world. There's no right or wrong answer. We're here to figure out why we're here and make our own purpose in this life. Nobody has it set out for us. We have to find it, whatever it may be.

Good luck on your assignment!

1) How did we get here? (Origin) (how do you explain the existence of human beings on this planEt? How do you explain the existence of the planet itself?) We evolved from simpler species over billions of years, after life sprang up from simple self-replicating molecules. The planet Earth was made from lots of interstellar matter which colallesced into solid masses due to their self attaction according to the laws of gravity. 2) Why are we here? (Purpose) (What are humans supposed to do with their lives? What is our purpose?) We aren't SUPPOSED to do anything. Each person chooses their own purpose in life. 3) How do we know what is true and what's not? (Truth) (How do you verify the truth of a statement or claim? What sources do you seek for wisdom, knowledge and information?) We assign the value of truth to something that is independently verifiable by others. 4) Why is there evil? Good? (Morality) (How do you explain the existence of good/evil in the world? Where did it come from?) People have the ability to do a lot of things. Some choose to do things that benefit others and are labeled "good". Others do things which harm others and are labeled "bad" or "evil". There is no objective standard. Morality is relative to a group's norms at that time. 5) How do we overcome evil? How can we be happy? (Is there a way to conquer the evil in this world? How can humanity improve and better itself? How can we achieve ultimate happiness?) Too many quesitons Good luck. 6) What happens when we die? (Destiny) (Is there an afterlife? What is it like? How does one get there?) No afterlife, other than the effect of deeds we did during our life and how we are remembered by people.

• I guess I am what you might call a Humanist.

1. My beliefs are what shape my world, how I interract, how I see it.

2. Do the best I can, do what is right, prove the best of humanity, of the world

3. What sacred Scripture?

4. Intollerance, ignorance and bigotry

5. Nature, it is beautiful. And real.

6. Yes, it is everywhere

It is important to know where we come from, and how our world works.

7. My body lives on in some form, where does my soul go? I dont know, somewhere, maybe here maybe there, doesn't matter now.

8. Evil must exist so good can prove its purity above it. It is what it is, we can only try our best to stop it.

9. To do good, for good. I must do the best I can, do what is right, prove the best of humanity, of the world. Minimize suffering, promote goodness. Promote reason, morality, logic and rationality. To prove myself above my desires, above evil and corruption, and help others do the same.

Anyway this is what I believe deep down.

• Sahmir

Ill speak for Islam the best i can

1. Its a way of life a perfect one it teaches me to love and respect all cultures and to accept other peoples and their faiths.

2. Prayer when I can. Act in accordince with doctrine. Just live a normal life.

3. "There's no compulsion in religion" Everyone has a right to freedom of religion as much as i expect people to respect my faith i would respect theirs.

4. The prejudice and ignorance people have, and guarding my modesty in a society where sex is everywhere.

5. Mecca, home of Muhammed (pbuh) and the Ka'ba (spiritual center)

6. No and I do plan to and its extremely important pilgramige is one of our 5 pillars of Islam.

7. With my current knowledge when we die we lay in an unconscious state until the day of judgement where we are risen and judged based on the good and bad deeds we did while we lived.

8. Life is a test and Allah tests us differently. Allah tests our faith in him. Some people are born into poverty that is just their test to see if they say "if god loves us why do i suffer" or if they are wealthy if they forget to give thanks and hold material higher than him.

9. Life is a test, we can do good or evil we have free will.

• Nazim

I'm a Muslim.

It is my inner belief and it's doctrine governs how I live my life.

I try to live an righteous life. I avoid indulging in any sinful practices, such as drinking alcohol and lusting after women.

The following Quranic verse:

[06:162] Say: My prayer and my sacrifice and my life and my death are surely for God, the Lord of the worlds

This verse makes me devote my life to God Almighty. Everything I do is for God.

The most challenging aspect in my religion is abstinence from women. In Islam, God Almighty commanded that we lower our gaze from women, except our wives. I try my best.

Mecca, because God Almighty chose it a place to perform the pilgrimage, as taught by our father Abraham (peace be upon him)

6.Have you been to this holy place or other holy place yet? (if yes) What was it like?

I did when I was young, but I obliged to do it again because I have to be an adult. It was spiritually uplifting, but a struggle nevertheless.

God Almighty will account for all our deeds. Those who worshiped him, and did not ascribe partners to Him, and did good deeds shall be rewarded Heaven. Those who rejected him, or ascribed partners to Him, and did evil deeds shall be punished. God Almighty is Most-Merciful, yet Supremely-Just.

This life is a trial. God Almighty will trial us with good fortunes as well as calamities in order to see which one of us is best in deeds.

The purpose of our creation, and indeed every creation, is that we worship God Almighty. Were as all creation submits to God, mankind is given the freewill to worship Him with love and affinity, rather than His supremacy alone.

I hope this helps.

1 faith in God

2 hiding in heart

3 nothing, faith in God

4 people

5 church

6 no and i dont like

7 might be

8 its the peoples world, its the people fault

9 because i was born

1. atheist

2. i have spent a lot of time making myself a good person, but again, i'm an atheist

3. n/a

4. n/a

5. n/a

6. n/a

7. nothing and no

8. n/a

9. i don't have a meaning that's been given to me