What is tapping in the field of plumbing?

Is adding a tap point called so? or is there another term for the same?

3 Answers

  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    A tap can refer to a tool that threads a hole or provides a service opening, tapping a pipe would be the process of adding another port to an existing pipe, someone may use the term "hot tap", which makes a penetration into a pipe without shutting down service, and may not technically provide a threaded opening, but provides a opening to "tap" the content of the pipe. A tap point could be called a port or hub.

    I prefer the type of tap that provides a method to get beer out of a keg, but that's not really a plumbing issue, unless of course you consider the favorite beverage of most plumbers!

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    Tapping, or also known as 'Water Hammer' - It occurs when you shut off the water suddenly and the fast-moving water rushing through the pipe is brought to a quick halt, creating a sort of shock wave and a hammering noise.

    Source(s): Studying Plumbing & Heating
  • moon j
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

    That's is what you are doing at this moment. Asking questions from a person who is experience

    in the field of Plumbing. PICKING their Brain is another saying.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.