I have these tiny black bugs all around my kitchen table and kitchen area.?

The have 3 parts to their body, legs, antennae, and seem to crawl, hop, jump and possibly fly as well. They don't bite - just are very annoying. I think they may be gnats, but not sure. We never have food out that spoils, but I do have fruit on the kitchen table. That is ending. I'm just not sure where they are coming from. Any ideas? I do have two parakeets so I don't want to use bug spray.

Best Answer

It's the fruit. They're fruit flys. They don't bite..but they ARE annoying. They just suddenly emerge when fruit is present. It doesn't have to be rotten or even over-ripe to attract fruit flys. Washing fruit is important because the fruit flys have been on the fruit.

-

I keep everything in the fridge. I always have. I even keep some canned foods in the fridge (mostly because I want it cold when I open it), but I don't take chances. I don't want insects around. I hate bugs around. It makes me itchy just thinking about it.

-

Fruit is one thing, and somewhat understandable to keep out. But I don't get it with the people who feel the desire to keep everything out on countertops. It just makes me nervous. Bread, butter, pots of beans, donuts, pie..coffeecake. Why? I can't help but think they must have rodents & every insect in the world. Or people who leave their over-stuffed trashcan with wet, sticky food trash..brimming out for a week. NOW THOSE PEOPLE HAVE TO HAVE BUG PROBLEMS.

-

But a few fruit flys are easy. Fruit goes in fridge. Fruitflys are gone.

.

.

-

Keep the fruit in the fridge. If it's bananas, then get a cake cover or something, to cover them.

-

Don't use pesticides around the parakeets at all. If you get an inexpensive steamer (like the Shark steamers) you can kill insects & their eggs with steam. Usually a direct shot of high powered steam 140*F will wipe out insects.

-

It's the fruit, though. As soon as the fruit is in the fridge, no more fruit flys.

.

.

.

>I<

Probably fruit flies. UGH. Hate them. Get rid of the fruit, put it in your fridge.

put two spoons vinegar and a few drops of dishwashing liquid in coke or water bottle, and poke some holes big enough they can get in. this will catch them if they are fruitflies.

use bug spray it is better other methods is impossible