History of Lebanon Q's!?
1. How was Lebanon founded? / How did it win independence? From whom? When?
2. Was Lebanon a colony at one time, a colonial power, or both?
3. What was happening in Lebanon during WW1 (1914-1918)?
4. What was happening in Lebanon during WW11 (1939-1945)?
5. What was happening in Lebanon when man landed on the moon (1969)?
6. What was happening in Lebanon at the turn of the century (2000)?
7. What is currently happening in Lebanon?
Thanks in advance!
- ammianusLv 79 years agoFavorite Answer
1: Cities such as Tyre and Sidon were founded by the Phoenicians - Lebanon as an independent state is a modern concept,it was an area that was always part of someones empire.
2: A colony of France,under the pretext of a League of Nations mandate after WW1.
3: Lebanon was part of the Ottoman empire during WW1.
4: Part of the French empire,which declared for Vichy after the fall of France in 1940.The Syria-Lebanon campaign of 1941 saw it conquered by Free French and Allied forces.
5: Lebanon was independent,and very prosperous.
6: Still independent,but recovering from a long civil war (1975-1990) and dominated by Syria.
7: Political power struggle between Syrian backed Hezbollah extremist Muslim organization,and the Christian government supported by moderate Druze Muslims.