Shay asked in PetsReptiles · 8 years ago

can turtles live in tap water?

I'm buying a Mississippi map turtle soon and i am wondering if you can keep them in tap water, if not why???

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Tap water is absolutely fine, especially for a map turtle. Maps can be quite sensitive to dirty water and the bacteria and fungi than thrive there. So start with tap water -- the chemicals will help prevent proliferation of pathogens-- and then use a good filter. Since turtles don't have the permeable skin of fish, the cleansing chemicals in tap water are not going to cause any trouble with your turtle.

  • 8 years ago

    Although chlorine will kill fish, regular tap water is perfectly fine with turtles. I've had turtles for a long time and have always used tap water and never treated it with any chemicals and some of my turtles are close to a decade old and perfectly healthy. Even so, chlorine evaporates after a day or so anyway.

  • 8 years ago

    yes it is safe i have kept turtles for years and never used any thing in the water and they are all still alive and well

  • 8 years ago

    No tap water contains a lot of chlorine, like the other guy said. Chlorine is no good for anyone, and so it will not be good for the turtle. Chlorine is what is kept in a pool to keep it clean.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

    I would use spring water.Its more natural than tap water

    Source(s): turtle keeper
  • Beth F
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

    Yes they can if you treat the water with reptisafe before you put the turtle in it. They shouldn't live in untreated water. But the water should be safe after you treat it.

  • 8 years ago

    no, they cant live in tap water, the chlorine will kill them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.