Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 8 years ago

Should a group of frustrated Mississippi mothers with nothing to do be meddling in other peoples' affairs?

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Ben & Jerry's Schweddy Balls ice cream is too hot to handle for some supermarket chains.

Apparently some grocery store chains, and supporters and members of the One Million Moms group think so.

That Mississippi-based moms organization has been putting the heat on retailers to keep Schweddy Balls out of their freezers and encouraging parents to ask the Vermont-based Ben & Jerry's to stop production of the item, saying the name is nothing but locker room humor that's not appropriate for young children.

Do these meddling mothers really think their kids will see the name in the supermarket and be harmed by a name that doesn't mean anything to them? And what other mischief are these guilt-ridden mothers up to in Mississippi?

• Lady M
    Best Answer

Sam Bass, perhaps you don't have little children whose minds you are charged with keeping out of the gutter. But I can tell you from personal experience, it's a huge, difficult, and thankless job. Ice cream is an alluring product for kids and I think it is disgusting that a well known ice cream company would use such a low class advertising gimmick. Kids have enough jokes about butts and poop that they think are hysterical without Ben and Jerry's promoting their product with this disgusting name. Kids really don't need to add the name of this ice cream "flavor" to their vocabulary.

Everyone is talking about how ridiculous these women are for standing up and voicing their opinions about what they think is proper for their children to view. Well, someone has to stand up and say so when businesses are going too far. My hat is off to these courageous women who stand for wholesome speech in advertising. There may be other companies who are promoting questionable products There may be some who are using inappropriate language while promoting their products. That is no reason to discount what these mothers are saying about this particular product and it's tasteless name.

Please, let the children be innocent children for as long as possible. Childhood is far too short already!

You can give me as many TD's as you wish. I will take them as a badge of honor!

• ?

like it or no longer, the Mississippi mothers have as lots marvelous to "meddle" in individuals's affairs as B&J has to industry a product with this form of disgusting label. The product seems to be doing nicely in some areas, which speaks volumes with regard to the community inhabitants, yet interior the tip, shoppers will come to a determination whether the product is a fulfillment or no longer. "Guilt-ridden" remark reduces credibility, as does meddling. If dad and mom have self belief an argument impacts their infants, they have a marvelous, and duty, to do what they'd interior the ideal interest of their young infants.

I would have thought that those right-wing Mississippi Moms For Decency would have gotten a laugh out of SNL's spot-on send-up of left-wing National Public Radio, which was what the Shweddy Balls skit was really all about. And it was perfect too. I've never seen NPR ridiculed so accurately.

I can think of lots of other children's toys and processed foods that appeal to vulgar humor, and the Moral Moms don't seem to be getting themselves into a sweat over them. Maybe what they really don't like is the fact that Ben and Jerry's is a company that's run by lefties and that's a favorite of lefty consumers and that gives money to lefty political causes.

I am a free speech free press guy all down the line. However, I hate for an institution to do something crude then have other crude folk use profanity in public places and think it is OK.

Doesn't sound like a flavor I would want to try, but sales of the item are what stores should pay attention to. There are many far more important things to get worked up about if they feel the need to get involved.

I think the ladies of Mississippi deserve the right to express their opinions.

• Halia

Goes to show why kids today are so incredibly messed up. To those moms-There are a whole lot of bigger battles you're going to have to fight for your kids than ice cream. Get a life.

• Mark

Sounds like they want to keep those Shweddy Balls all to themselves...

• oldman

You have to admit, they got balls. Not that I agree with them.

• Monty

I have to agree with sounder. And, personally, I have other things to worry over. Life and death things.