Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What does "ear mark" mean? simple definition!?

Hi, I'm doing an in class assessment on developing and developed nations on Monday, and we have to choose two countries - one developed and one developing. I haven't chosen a developed country yet, but my developing country is Madagascar. I recently came across a website and it had a the term 'ear marked' in it, something i have never heard of nor has any of my teachers taught me--

Kleptocractic rule-

Under the kleoptocratic rule of French-backed dictator Didier Ratsiraka, government officials stole millions of dollars in funds ear-marked for aid and development activities.

And also what is the 'kleoptocratic rule'? Thanks!

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Earmark is a legislative (especially congressional) provision that directs approved funds to be spent on specific projects, or that directs specific exemptions from taxes or mandated fees.

Kleptocracy, is a form of political and government corruption where the government exists to increase the personal wealth and political power of its officials and the ruling class at the expense of the wider population, often without pretense of honest service. This type of government corruption is often achieved by the embezzlement of state funds.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.