is it fair that a multi billion company like Walmart is raising healthcare premiums for their employees?

Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the nation's largest private employer, is scaling back the eligibility of health care coverage offered to future part-timers and dramatically raising premiums for many of its full-time workers.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/WalMart-trims-health...

Best Answer

To me, it's more about right and wrong than "fair." I guarantee that the underlying motivation for what Wal-Mart is doing is greed. I guarantee that there are several other areas where money can be saved. But the first place they look to do it is healthcare for their employees.

~

• Lynnee

Before you read my comments understand i'm no Walmart fan just some one who understands true freedoms. It is not a companies job to take care of you that is your job. Until the 60's very few jobs offered paid insurance and medical cost were much lower but once insurance became the tool to entice employees all medical cost increased to take advantage of the insurance money. So guess what the insurance companies would increase there rates to regain the lost funds and so it goes on today with the medical pratices and hospitals trying to get all they can out of the insurance companies and the insurance companies passing on there losses to the insured by increasing there rates. Then you add the Democrats adding even more expenses to the insurance companies and there you have it. By the way Walmart did not state ALL employees insurance cost would go up.

• Shilo

Yes, it is fair and the logical consequence of the health care industry and insurance companies rising costs. I didn't realize that they included part-time employee in their group health insurance policy until I read this article. amazing! can't believe Wal-Mart was that generous for so long and still able to turn a profit. Well, maybe this will be a wake-up call to the so many complacent citizens in this country that the health care industry and health insurance companies OWN US. The days of employeeism are over - not even big companies like Wal-Mart can protect us anymore.

It sure seems fair to Walmart. But they are probably only doing it because the healthcare businesses are raising their premiums. And that's all that counts because they call the shots because the gop paves the way for them to continue to hurt Americans.

• Annie

Walmart isn't even required to provide insurance in the first place.

Also, very few of their employees have private insurance, Walmart is known for paying just under the income requirements for welfare. So yeah, it's fair that they are raising their premiums, their employees aren't paying for it anyway. YOU are in taxes.

Just another reason I hate Walmart.

It's not much of a surprise considering that Wal Mart has done more to move production to China than anyone else. If they can screw over their country, they will certainly screw over their employees.

Fair? No. Moral? No.

Legal? Yes. They can do what they want, as long as they follow the law.

I'm not supporting it, just stating facts.

• ?

Wall Mart can do what ever it whats as long as it is with in the boundaries of the law.

No big deal. Their workers can always go on Medicaid.

Sure, why not, they're a private company, they can do whatever they want as long as it's within the law.