What human foods are poisonous to dogs?
Just asking (don't panic I feed him dog food!) he ate an onion ring and it upset his stomach (he's ok now!) and then I heard they were poisonous, also raisens? And obv chocolate.
I know all our foods ain't good but what else can be deadly?
- 8 years agoFavorite Answer
ms to avoid Reasons to avoid
Alcoholic beverages Can cause intoxication, coma, and death.
Avocado The leaves, seeds, fruit, and bark contain persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
Bones from fish, poultry, or other meat sources Can cause obstruction or laceration of the digestive system.
Cat food Generally too high in protein and fats.
Chocolate, coffee, tea, and other caffeine Contain caffeine, theobromine, or theophylline, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea and be toxic to the heart and nervous systems.
Citrus oil extracts Can cause vomiting.
Fat trimmings Can cause pancreatitis.
Fish (raw, canned or cooked) If fed exclusively or in high amounts can result in a thiamine (a B vitamin) deficiency leading to loss of appetite, seizures, and in severe cases, death.
Grapes, raisins and currants Contain an unknown toxin, which can damage the kidneys. There have been no problems associated with grape seed extract.
Hops Unknown compound causes panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures, and death.
Human vitamin supplements containing iron Can damage the lining of the digestive system and be toxic to the other organs including the liver and kidneys.
Macadamia nuts Contain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscle.
Marijuana Can depress the nervous system, cause vomiting, and changes in the heart rate.
Milk and other dairy products Some adult dogs and cats may develop diarrhea if given large amounts of dairy products.
Moldy or spoiled food, garbage Can contain multiple toxins causing vomiting and diarrhea and can also affect other organs.
Mushrooms Can contain toxins, which may affect multiple systems in the body, cause shock, and result in death.
Onions and garlic (raw, cooked, or powder) Contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Cats are more susceptible than dogs. Garlic is less toxic than onions.
Persimmons Seeds can cause intestinal obstruction and enteritis.
Pits from peaches and plums Can cause obstruction of the digestive tract.
Raw eggs Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.
Raw meat May contain bacteria such as Salmonella and E. coli, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
Rhubarb leaves Contain oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems.
Salt If eaten in large quantities it may lead to electrolyte imbalances.
String Can become trapped in the digestive system; called a "string foreign body."
Sugary foods Can lead to obesity, dental problems, and possibly diabetes mellitus.
Table scraps (in large amounts) Table scraps are not nutritionally balanced. They should never be more than 10% of the diet. Fat should be trimmed from meat; bones should not be fed.
Tobacco Contains nicotine, which affects the digestive and nervous systems. Can result in rapid heart beat, collapse, coma, and death.
Yeast dough Can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possible rupture of the stomach or intestines.
Xylitol (artificial sweetener) Can cause very low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), which can result in vomiting, weakness and collapse. In high doses can cause liver failure.
- Anonymous5 years ago
Here you can find a very effective natural treatment for diabetes: http://diabete-cure.gelaf.info
Diabetes can be "reversed" or go into "remission". I believe that what that is is decreasing the need to take medications. A person who has diabetes will always have it... but there are cases where a type 2 can either reduce medications or even eliminate them... but will still need to watch diet, get plenty of exercise and keep their weight down. This is called management and control. However, that does not mean that there will never be one. Research has taken huge advances and the more scientists learn about it, the higher likelihood that a cure might come about someday.
While I did recently read an article that stated gastric lap band or gastric bypass MAY be a potential cure, more research is needed and even if this one day is a cure, it would only be effective on type 2s who are obese since neither of those procedures are performed on people who are of normal weight or body mass. Stem cell transplants are still highly controversial and most likely, have a long way to go before it is approved as a diabetes cure by the FDA. Since the vast majority of diabetics are type 2 (roughly 90%), those of us who are type 1 seem to get lost in the shuffle. EMT type 1 for more years than I care to remember, use a pump. Let me add that when I mean diabetes can be controlled and managed without medication but with diet, exercise and weight control, I'm referring to type 2. This is not an option for type 1s, who must take insulin, either by injections or a pump, to survive.
- 8 years ago
A TV vet once said a Yorkie bar would do harm to a yorkie, so a lot of Chocolate is bad. Things that swell up should be avoided (raisins, dried fruit). Our terrier generally eats a bit of whatever we eat as well as proper dog food. and no problems in 11 years. Too much sweet/sticky stuff can give dental problems, and small bones can get stuck. Remember dogs are scavengers, so there's not much that is bad that they don't bring back up. Human medicines are not right without vet's permission. Alcohol isn't good either.
Doge tend to work on the basis of get it down and worry about the digestion later
- 8 years ago
As long as its not in a large amount it wont hurt them, I have had dogs in the past eat chocolate and stuff and it not affect them. I dont know what other people may think and personally dont care but I feed my dogs human food all the time and I have always had healthy and happy dogs. I dont feed in large amounts but as my parents and grandparents did, I always make a little extra for them, its good for there skin and coats especially the grease from food. I have never had any problems and the vets say my dogs are perfect and healthy. But as I said you dont want to feed them to much because that can harm them, and its really always best to mix any human food with dry dog food.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- 4 years ago
Diabetes, also called diabetes mellitus, has become a very common heath problem. How to reverse diabetes naturally https://tr.im/ANr6l
There are two main types of diabetes- type 1 diabetes in which the body does not produce insulin and type 2 diabetes in which the body does not produce enough insulin or the insulin that is produced does not work properly.
Some of the common symptoms of diabetes include fatigue, weight loss (even though you are eating more), excessive thirst, increased urination, cut and bruises that are slow to heal and blurred vision.
While there is no cure for diabetes, with your blood sugar level under control you can live a totally normal life. There are various natural remedies for diabetes that will help you control your blood sugar level.
- KristyLv 58 years ago
Raisins, grapes, onions, chocolate. A hersheys kiss or kitkat may cause an upset stomach but a bag of choco chips or cooking chocolate, you need to make the dog vomit and possibly go to ER.
- priscillaLv 48 years ago
Chocolate grapes alcohol bones milk onion garlicSource(s): Have a dog
- 3 years ago
Preset the timer in your TV to turn off after a couple of hours to remind you to do something more active.