Suggestions on Heart Bypass?

My father is a diabetic patient. He is 60 years old. He got a heart attack once a couple of years ago. He also had kidney stone problem and pain in the joints.

His doctor advised him for a heart bypass because some of the heart arteries are blocking the blood circulation and bypass is ncessary.The doctor told him that in his condition (diabetes and other issues) bypass is 92% effective and 8%failure is expected which means death. The second solution is to take medicine for heart pains and artery blockages.

My question is: how risky it is to do bypass in this situation? What do you recommend, Can u share some experiences. Should he be treated by medicines or bypass would be ok? Can anyone put some light on how risky it is for diabetic patient to have a bypass.

Please help me. It's a matter of a life. I'll be grateful.

• izzy
    Best Answer

My diabetic neighbour, who is now 80 had a bypass several years ago and a second one late last year.

He is fine.

There are no guarantees with any op - even a simple one to remove an appendix.

"In people who are candidates for CABG surgery, the results are usually excellent, with 85 percent of patients having significantly reduced symptoms, less risk for future heart attacks and a decreased chance of dying within 10 years following the surgery."

1) You did not tell us which heart arteries were affected and how bad? If it was a left main coronary artery I would say it is an emergency! if it were more distal (farther down arteries) maybe not so emergent. If his heart attack was a couple of years ago why are they discussing bypass now? Since diabetes is a cause of vascular disease MANY diabetics undergo surgery. They are cared for after surgery with a dedicated nurse. If an insulin drip is appropriate, blood sugars are monitored every hour

2) Are you in a metropolitan center where a second or sophisticated opinion is easily obtainable? Sometimes in more rural settings options are limited. I wish you and your family health and wellness.

• joanis

i'm sorry i've got not got the web pages to direct you to, yet i grants you the better of what I ought to attempt to assist. My Dad had a surprising heart-attack and emergency triple bypass surgical treatment at fifty 8, he got here out of the surgical treatment sore and mandatory a month to recuperate yet while it grew to become into all suggested and carried out he grew to become into greater healthy than he have been in years. My Dad grew to become right into a lifelong smoker, partied perplexing in his (35 year) teenagers and ate fowl fried steak and eggs almost each and every morning for 2 a protracted time. :) I even have examine that there are hereditary factors so that's in all probability sensible and could surely no longer harm to have your self checked as cautioned by making use of a terrific heart professional. additionally, there are some remarkable organic supplements to take which will do wonders to your heart, take CoQ10 with diet E and a solid B-complicated. a solid e book to examine is "Prescription for nutritional healing". better of luck and that i wish this helps. i'm particular your brother would be superb, with a bit of luck much greater effective than ever and you're on the nicely suited song already questioning of preventative measures for your self.

With diabetes, the by pass is going to be a temporary relief of chest pain, because atherosclerosis, the underlying disease, will still continue after the surgery.

I think it's better to get a second opinion is this case. If he doesn't have frequent chest pain it is not urgent, so he has time to think about it.

If it was my father I would go with the less invasive treatment first, the medications. Give it a bit of time then go on to a second opinion before surgery or while you are go with the medicatons.

Newer techniques seek to limit the complications of traditional CABG by

* Avoiding CPB (off-pump CABG)

* Avoiding median sternotomy (minimally invasive CABG)

* Both