What will be the consequences of forgetting what is learnt and ineffective studying for a psychologist?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently a third year psychology student, and I've recently finished all of my psychology units. The units I've taken are: Psychology A, Psychology B, Biological Psychology, Lifespan Development, Social Psychology, Psychology of Learning, Theories of Personality, Psychological Testing, Cognitive Psychology and Abnormal Psychology. We have also covered a lot of statistics.

I worry that either a) I'll forget what I've already learnt, or b) I ineffectively studied, and didn't learn anything properly in the first place. I don't remember much of what I've learnt over my undergraduate years.

I'm interested in a career as a health psychologist. How will what I've forgotten from my undergraduate years affect my career as a health psychologist, or even as a psychologist? Will it affect me at all? If so, how??

A lot of what we're leant isn't all that practical, so I figure that I may be okay - it's more theoretical.

I'll be interested to hear everyone's opinions.

Thank you!

Favorite Answer

In the US, it's learned not learnt.

If you are a practicing psychologist then you will constantly be reviewing your books and you will learn from practical application. You won't need to know how many rats BF Skinner experimented on or what the exact contruction of his first box was, so it won't matter that you forget this, but you will need to know the concept of what a Skinner Box means to modern day disorders.

If you are having a difficult time remembering concepts, background information, and diagnostic information, then you will have a difficult time in the real world. Lawsuits against shrinks are real things and if you forget what the classic signs of Narcisisstic Personality Disorder are, you don't bother to look it up, and you don't treat for an obvious case of it and the person goes nuts and shoots up a hair salon, you could have serious liability.

Any type of good primary care giver is regularly reviewing journals and textbooks and speaking with the colleagues for help and support.

Good Luck to you, Jane. Nice to see you again.