Essay topic : What are the most urgent environmental problems caused by our consumption of oil and Why?
If i want to write the global warming, acid rain and oil spill in my essay body.
Can I write" In my view, the global warming, acid rain and oil spill are the most urgent environment problems casued by our consumption of oil." as my introduction thesis statement?
May u give me some advices?
Please help me, thanks!
How to rewrite it???
- F.P.Lv 78 years agoFavorite Answer
It is a very bad practice in academic writing that the conclusion is pre-empted before analysis. The sentence you suggested is likely to appear in the conclusion. Who cares what your view is? We are expecting a logical conclusion/finding derived from a critical analysis.
If your course of study is at degree level or above, such kind of writing style is definitely not acceptable.
2011-10-21 21:16:50 補充：
1. Identity the problems
2. Why are they problems? What are the consequence if these problems continue to exist.
3. They may not be problems - critically assess them
4. What are the causes of these phenomenon (not necessarily problems)?
2011-10-21 21:18:05 補充：
5. Analyse these causes - these causes may do many good things at other aspects.
6. Compare the pros and cons and arrive at a conclusion whether these 'problems' require a proper solution.
7. Discussion on the best solution that can strike a balance between environment and quality of life.
2011-10-21 21:21:32 補充：
Do some lateral thinking: Why do we need to protect the white dolphin at the expense of infrastructural development? What is the problem if all white dolpins are extinguished?
2011-10-21 21:24:30 補充：
What is the level of your course?
2011-10-22 07:47:45 補充：
What do you mean by introduction level? 中學? 大專? 學士學位? 碩士?
2011-10-23 09:30:29 補充：
Avoid descriptive/prescriptive ideas, put more effort on crticical discussion and debate.Source(s): MSc Tutor