United States Citizen Requirements???

So my friend and I were driving up to Missouri for a college visit when he told me that he is really worried applying to college..

I asked him why and he said that he came to the united states with a Visa for only six months but he overstayed the VISA and lived here for 17 years. So with an expired Visa, no Green card he lived in the US for 17 years.... Is that even possible? I mean according to the government shouldn't he have gotten a Green Card for living that long and be a naturalized citizen?

4 Answers

  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Visa is for entry porpouses only, not for staying, he overstayed whatever time they stamped in his passport/i-94... yes many people live here that long and more illegally, before 2001 it was relatively easy to get SSN bank accounts and driver's licences (depending on states) now he is in some troubles, but not so much, since there are legal paths to lagalization, specially if he entered with visa and not "crossed border illegally". There are some countries that have "special treatment" for immigration matters, such as Cuba, Nicaragua, etc. he should check www.uscis.gov to get informed, they describe in website how to get legalized through family, employment, asylum, etc. He entering with a Visa means that he can probably go to his country voluntarily and he would not suffer the 10 years ban from US, but i assume his life and all he knows is here, many people (specially when arrived as kids) have made a home here and have nothing to go back to. He can visit a lawyer and im sure he can find advise easily. Good luck.

    Back to the question. He most have been born in U.S. to be citizen OR have been permanent resident for 5 years OR being permanent resident for 2 years if has been married with a US citizen for 2 years or more... mmm... i think that's it. (There are the asylum and special cases exceptions, i believe)

  • Jan
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

    It is possible because people come here, thumb their noses at our laws, and our government does nothing about it.

    He isn't eligible for a green card or for citizenship. If he ever wants legal status, he has to return to his home country before he turns 18 1/2 and find a way to come back legally.

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    He is illegally in the US

    he can look forward to jail and deportation ..

    do not aid and abet

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    if he over stayed that mean he's illegal

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.