HG asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 8 years ago

Why do soldiers get wounded from bullets if they wear body armour?

If they still die, what is the point of wearing body armour?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

Body armor is designed to stop the puncture of a bullet but still allow you to be mobile. In order to stop all bullets you would be wearing to much armor to move. There is still a massive amount of blunt trauma from the impact. You have to wear the armor, you dont have a choice, it saves lives, period. Plus if you dont wear the issued armor then your spouse/family wont get any of your life insurance money when you die.

• Monica
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

At some point there will be a body armor system that will protect a soldier a lot better than the current but there will never be an armor system that will protect a soldier from everything. If they can figure out a way to make a near impenetrable vest & helmet, that will save many lives but they also need to get working on a body armor system that protects the limbs & that is light enough & not bulky. I say in the next 10 years we will have a body armor system that will protect much more of the body than just a vest & helmet. But than again their will most likely be weapons to negate the armor cause that's the process of warfare technology. Someone creates better protection, than some creates a better weapon.

• 8 years ago

Body armour only protects certain parts of the body,arms legs and head are still exposed.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

It prevents a lot of deaths and injuries in the military. The body armor HELPS stop bullets from hitting the chest and back. not to mention the Kevlar attachments stop small shrapnel

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Why do soldiers get wounded from bullets if they wear body armour? ... Why are you not wearing a helmet?

Source(s): Marine
  • 8 years ago

What? Do you think our military personnel are running around in Iron Man suits? Body armor is intended to protect the most vital organs, while still allowing flexibility and maneuverability! It does not cover the entire body!

• 8 years ago

body armor only protects specific parts of the body. there are areas such as the neck face arms and legs that are not covered.

Further more body armor can only protect against SOME bullets and guns.

It can also stop fragments.

That said they wear it because it does save lives.

• 8 years ago

Lessens the blow. If I was shot by a huge 7.62 I'd wear a vest to help lessen the impact. An AK47 will rip you to shreds and body armor has saved TONS of lives.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Because it saves more lives in the end.

I got a bad reality shock for you. Humans are mortal. We die. No amount of body armor will stop every bullet, shrapnel or bombs.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

You only hear about the ones that die, never the ones body armor has saved.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.