How do I get my arrest record expunged?

I was arrested earlier this year for a misdemeanor, possession of marijuana, charge. I plead guilty and took what they gave me. I probably should have gotten a lawyer and tried to minimize my punishment while also seeking to expunge this from my record before any charges were filed. At that time, and currently, I am a straight- A student at a university and have no other problems with the law. My concern is obviously regarding my future applications to various places of employment (background checks). When I web-search for "expungment," and other word variations of the service, I get spam-looking offers that make me hesitant to go forward. Who, how, or where should I be looking for a lawyer/service that can help me get this off my record? If it makes a difference, I was arrested in Georgia and I live in Florida.

Favorite Answer

O.C.G.A. § 35-3-37(d) (1) allows for the expungement of arrest charges by a local law enforcement agency when certain conditions are met (as outlined in this statute). If approved by appropriate prosecutor, the arrest cycle is sealed on the Georgia criminal history report by GCIC. Access to that arrest information is restricted to criminal justice agencies only.

The following are examples of final court dispositions that may qualify: Dismissed: Not Presented to Grand Jury: No Further Action Anticipated; Nolle Prossed/Prosequi; Dead Docket; or No Record on File. Dispositions of Guilty, Not Guilty, Nolo Contendre, and First Offender Act are not eligible. It is recommended that you review a copy of your criminal history, prior to submitting the Request to Expunge Record, to ensure that all charges have a final disposition listed and the disposition may qualify for expungement. If a disposition is missing or incorrect, please contact the appropriate court; the court may transmit the disposition on-line.

All applications must be approved or denied by the appropriate prosecutor.

To apply for the local record expungement, contact the arresting law enforcement agency to obtain an application for Request to Expunge Record. Also the Request to Expunge Record can be found on the GBI website, www.gbi.georgia.gov by selecting Publications and then selecting Georgia Criminal History Record Expungements or click on this link Georgia Criminal History Record Expungements. The Request to Expunge Record is a three-part form:

Section One - You will complete Section One and return to the arresting agency.

Section Two - Completed by the arresting agency that forwards the request to the appropriate prosecutor (District Attorney or Solicitor).

Section Three - Completed by the prosecutor who will approve or deny the request.

Once the prosecutor completes their portion, all three sections should be forwarded to GCIC with the $25.00 processing fee payable by certified check or money order.

Source(s): http://gbi.georgia.gov/00/channel_modifieddate/0,2... Currently 6+ years as an assistant district attorney. This answer should not be construed as legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship. The above answer could change based on varying circumstances and the laws of a specific jurisdiction.

1

Source(s): Criminal Records Search Database - http://CriminalRecords.raiwi.com/?nsyV
  • WRG

Some state will allow for the a misdemeanor conviction to be expunged but not within a year of the conviction. Most states that do it require at least 5-10 years to have pasted arrest free.

A GA lawyer or a FL one licensed to practice in GA will be required. But there isn't a thing they can do about it now.

You said

I was arrested earlier this year for a misdemeanor, possession of marijuana, charge. I plead guilty

STOP

not able to expunge that

• John E

Start by waiting about 8 years, and be a straight-A first class person the entire time.

Criminal Record Search Database - http://InfoSearchDetective.com

You don't.

But, if it IS possible, only a judge or parole officer can tell you that.

maybe ask Obama for a presidential pardon.

You don't.