MY 16YR son was in a fight at school can they get away with just putting 1& not the other?

the kid approached my son at lunch in cafeteria he put his finger in my sons face and told him he was going to fight him,my son told him he did not want to fight him...after school the boy(who is a bus rider) was waiting in the senior parking lot(300 yards from the bus stop) by my sons vehicle with his friends waiting to fight my son handed his things to someone and my son ended up beating up the kid now the school is trying to put just my son in aep i dont think this is fair do i have any recourse?this is not fair my son has already done 4 days of iss .

the principal and the school officer have done a complete investigation and have written statements that my son told him he did not want to fight him and a video that show the other kid waiting outside to fight him they agree that both are at fault...and let me make it clear i hate fighting..and my son has to pay the price for his part in it.and my son told the truth that day he never denied anything..however the mother of the other child is complaining to the school board wanting my son taken out of the school. i feel like if her son beat up my son none of this would be going on. o and yes my son threw the first punch he never denied it..I dont know many people that would stand there waiting for someone to hit them especially since he was being cornered in the parking lot.To me if you do the crime you should do the time but it should go for both one shouldnt get off just because he lost the fight.

Disciplinary Alternative Education Program

• SarahT
    Favorite Answer

For starters: you have only your son's word that this kid started anything. Second: sounds like it was your son that threw the first punch and started the actual fight. Which means it's your son's fault.

He should have reported to a teacher at or after lunch that the kid was threatening him. He made his bed, time to lie in it...

EDIT: Professor: AEP = Alternative Education Program

First, you must question your sources and how reliable they are. If your son told you this information then it will be biased. You need to get a version of the story from the other side, and a version from someone at a neutral perspective. This will give you a clearer view at the truth.

It is not fair that only your son is being punished if the other student wanted the fight.

Source(s): "An eye for an eye would make the world blind." Ghandi.
  • I think your son is not giving you the full story. Most schools have no tolerance no fault rules on fighting, and will discipline both students. The only time they do otherwise is when it is very obvious who the instigator is.

of course it is fair. Your son beat up the other kid.

He has to learn to not rise to the bait. Just because someone says they are going to hit, he can't go around pummeling everyone.

parent this wild child!

If there are witnesses to corroborate your son's version, there shouldn't be a problem.

I don't believe your son's version.

• R K

you don't mention who threw the first punch. if that was your son, it's fair.

• Chuck

all you can do is file a formal complaint with the school board.

you can pull your kid out of that school.

what is aep?