Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (American) · 8 years ago

Will Mark Ingram be as good as Emmitt Smith in this era?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

Mark Ingram is in a much different offense than Emmit Smith. While they have a very similar skill set (not the fastest, can run between or outside the tackles and can help in the passing game) the league has evolved into a different game.

Troy Aikman was great and the Cowboys had some great receivers and an excellent line, but the biggest difference is that the Cowboys ran to set up the pass. Aikman would only throw 20-30 times and Emmit got the ball 25 times a game.

With New Orleans everything starts with the pass. There is a reason that Brees has put up such huge numbers...the more attempts he gets the more catches, yards, and TDs. Mark Ingram is going to have some of his production (or possible production) taken away by a very succesful offense.

• 8 years ago

Emmitt Smith is the most overrated player of all time. He ran behind a wall of hall of famers, not to mention had a HOF QB and WR. Vince Wilfork could've ran for 1,000 yards every season behind that oline. Lets also not forget that Emmitt played way longer than he should've just to pad his stats.

I doubt Ingram comes anywhere close to Smith's numbers. For one he plays in New Orleans where they like to use multiple RBs. He will probably never see the workload Smith had. Not to mention he's showed absolutely nothing so far in his career to even be compared (3.4ypc, 17yd long).

• No chance what so ever. Smith and Ingram had the same cutback style of running but that's where the similarities end. I don't even know if Ingram is the best back on his team. Sproles is and has always been an underrated beast.

• David
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Mark Ingram isn't Emmitt Smith. Nor will he ever be.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Nox
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Mark Ingram needs to be good for one game first, before anyone has hopes he can be anything like Emmit Smith.

They're both stalky, black, and played in the SEC. That's about where I end the comparisons.

• 8 years ago

No way, Emmitt was so good that the Dallas offense was built around him instead of Hall of Famers Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Emmitt Smith, while a good RB, was a product of the Dallas O line. He was not a great RB.

I have no idea how good Mark Ingram will be.

• 8 years ago

That would require him to become the all time leading rusher, so no.

Emmitt was awesome, all good running backs require blocking. Diminishing Emmitt is popular these days but it is wrong.

• AGM
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

50/50. it all depends on his offenese

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.