Why is Steven Soderbergh a Respected Filmmaker?

He's what the Coen Brothers would if every last morsel of talent and wit was sucked from their souls. I think 'The Good German' is the only good film that this terminally dull independent auteur has ever made. I'm not (really) trying to be incendiary, but I wish that someone would explain why this man has such a huge cult following. I can understand why someone like David Fincher would have a huge following as he has made some great films ('Se7en', 'The Game', 'The Social Network') in addition to some utterly terrible ones ('Fight Club', 'Panic Room', 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'). But Soderbergh has only made one good film. One! And yet for someone reason so many people think he is the messiah. Why?

Favorite Answer

Dude, It's one director in hundreds. The one you chose just happens to be someone who has made three academy award winning films, hell I remember reading somewhere he has a film in the National Film registry. out of all of the directors you could have chosen to have problems with you chose him, when you could be asking how a director like Uwe Boll or Albert Pyun get a film made at all.

To be honest his track record speaks for itself, not to mention the fact that actors, other directors, and just general filmmakers praise him for his work and his abilities as a director, editor, screenwriter, and DOP. The reason why people think he's a good director, a "messiah" (your words) is because he's proven himself as a competent filmmaker, just as The Coens have, just as Fincher is in the process of doing.

and IMO... The movies you seem to highlight as "good films" put style over substance, maybe that's why you have a hard time with Soderbergh films, his theme's and films have an actual body and life to them..not just the sheen of hollywood.

Here here Jangles I would suggest Thomas that you feel safest and most entertained watching a film when it overtly manipulates your emotions through direction, sound and so forth perhaps in the years to come you will mature and appreciate Mr Soderberghs films for the dry, unsentimental, intelligent works they are...CHE should have been nominated for an oscar when you compare it to the other ten films that year

Did it ever occur to you that it's just your opinion? Many people like his movies and can justify why with an intelligent discussion. You on the other hand just claimed he only made one film that was good without any critical analysis of the rest.

I haven't seen any of his movies to be honest, but the people who are fans of him like him for a reason.